Our mission is to increase the disaster pet sheltering capacity in the State of Maine through identification of available resources along with the on-going support of existing Country Animal Response Teams (CART) and the fostering of the creation of additional CART resources both human and material. SMART will work to ensure that the disaster pet sheltering needs are met in addition to creating public awareness regarding personal pet disaster preparedness.
Events / Training
- September 22, 2018 - Emergency Animal Sheltering Training: Emergency Animal Sheltering workshop is designed to teach participants the basic elements of setting up and operating an emergency pet shelter in their own communities using live animals and is a requirement for all NHDART volunteers. We’ll also cover basic pet behavior and safe animal handling.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers online training in the Incident Command System as well as additional courses in preparedness.
Training Opportunities for the Public
The following are third party trainings we are aware of and are not sponsored by the DACF.
- Preparedness for Animal Disease Emergencies: What You can Do (PDF)
- Assisting Your Family in a Disaster
- SART Disaster Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Saving the Whole Family (PDF)
- Natural Disasters and Horses: Tips To Remeber (thehorse.com)