Subsurface Wastewater Team Policies
Proposed Policy Revisons
The Subsurface Wastewater Team is reviewing policies. The following policies are either outdated or have been superseded by revisions to the Subsurface wastewater Disposal Rules. The SWT proposes to discontinue them. We welcome comments.
Policy Statement on Distance from Replacement System to Abutter’s Well Superseded by changes to the Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules.
- Replacement of Existing Licensed Overboard Discharges with Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Systems Superseded by the guidance document posted below.
- Policy Regarding Food Establishments Transferring Licensure from Department of Agriculture to Department of Human Services Supersed by the adoption of the Maine Food Code by both agencies and thier Memorandum of Agreement.
- Policy Regarding Design Flow Reductions Superseded by changes to the Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules.
- Policy Regarding Status of Replacement Systems Superseded by changes to the Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules.
Policy Regarding Replacement System Variances in Close Proximity to Waterbodies/Courses and/or Wells No changes are proposed for this policy.
Replacement Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Systems on Offshore Islands
The Division of Environmental Health, Subsurface Wastewater Unit offers this document as guidance with respect to designing replacement subsurface wastewater disposal systems on offshore islands. In particular, this guidance is intended to address those situations in which an existing overboard discharge (OBD), licensed by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, is being replaced by a subsurface system designed pursuant to the Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules, CMR 241 (the Rules). Learn more. (pdf file)
- Site Map
- Online Rules
- Site Evaluator Licensing
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Funding for Septic Systems
- Ten Tips for Systems
- Cemeteries and Crematoria