Limited Lines Self-Storage Insurance Provider FAQs

For more information, visit our section for Limited Lines Self-Storage Insurance Provider.

How do we print our license?

The current process is for us to email a copy of the initial license to the primary/business email address provided at the time of application.  The email will generally be sent within 24-72 hours after license approval and will come from  

Duplicate licenses can be downloaded or emailed by visiting  You will need your Maine license number and Access Code.

How do we renew our license? What is the fee?

Please wait to receive your renewal invoice via email and follow the instructions on the invoice. Invoices are emailed 90 days prior to the renewal due date. Licenses cannot be renewed more than 90 days prior to the renewal data. Renewal Dates and Fees can be found here.

How do we change our contact information?

Address/Contact information can be changed 1 of 2 ways from our website.

  1. Electronically via ALMS Online with an access code.  This will change your information for Maine only.
  2. Via paper form which can be faxed, emailed or mailed (see below for contact information).  This will change your information for Maine only.

How do we terminate our license?

Please complete the Voluntary Termination form found on our website.

How do we obtain our Access Code?

Access Codes are printed on the license for all new licenses.  If you do not have your access code, please submit your request via email at or call 207-624-8475 and request Producer Licensing.

How do we submit an application?

Applications can be submitted by paper only and can be found on our website at Maine Bureau of Insurance: Limited Line Self-Storage Once completed, you may submit by email, fax or regular mail  (see below for contact information)

What are the application fees?

The initial license fee for both resident and non-resident limited lines self-storage insurance providers is $100.

Must each individual working on behalf of the limited lines self-storage insurance producer hold an individual producer license?

No. At the time of application, you must provide information for a Responsible Contact person who is the owner and/or employee of the provider.

Our business entity has had a name change.  What do we do?

If there is no change to the Federal Tax ID number (FEIN) for the entity, simply complete the Name Change form found on our website.

There is no fee -UNLESS you want a new license printed- the fee is then $10.  If, however, there is a change to the FEIN, it is considered a new entity and you must go through the application process.

Are we required to provide all of the Owner/Director information for the provider?

Only if more than 50% of its revenue is derived from the sale of self-storage insurance.  If so, please provide in writing the Name, Title and Address of each officer/partner/director with 10% or more interest or voting interest.

If we have more than one location offering coverage, does each location also require a license?

No, however you must provide us with a complete listing of all physical locations in Maine where coverage will be offered. To update the locations associated with the license, please complete an Update Authorized Locations Form (PDF).

What kind of advertising requirements are there for limited lines Self-storage insurance providers?

At every location where self-storage insurance is offered to customers, brochures or other written materials must be made available to a prospective customer.  Please review 24-A M.R.S. §7503 for specific requirements:

What does “Supervising Entity” mean?

"Supervising entity" means a business entity that is a licensed insurance producer or insurer. The insurer issuing the self-storage insurance must either directly supervise or appoint a supervising entity to supervise the administration of the sale of insurance, including development of a training program for employees and authorized representatives of the self-storage providers.

How do we change the "Supervising Entity"?

To designate a new supervising entity, the insurer should complete a Change of Supervising Entity form (PDF).

What is a Responsible Person?

The responsible person is an employee or authorized representative of the self-storage provider who is designated by the provider as the person responsible for the self-storage provider's compliance Maine’s insurance laws and rules.

How do we change the responsible person or the current responsible person's contact information?

To change the responsible person or the current responsible person's contact information, complete a Responsible Person Change form.

How do we contact the Licensing Section?