Floods FAQs

These questions are provided by the Maine Bureau of Insurance as a general guidance. These questions and answers are not intended to give specific information relating to particular situations nor are they intended to provide legal advice.

My home has suffered flood damage as a result of a storm.  Is it covered under my insurance?

Flood damage or damage caused by rising ground water typically will only be covered if you purchased flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).  It is not covered under a typical homeowners or renters insurance policy.   Policyholders should first contact their agent for their homeowners or renters insurance policy to report flood damage. Instructions on how to “File Your Claim” are available under Policy Holder Resources at www.floodsmart.gov.  NFIP coverage information is also available at the Flood Smart website.

What types of losses caused by a storm are covered under my homeowners insurance policy?

Coverage varies by insurer and policy type, but typically damage to the building or contents caused by wind or rain such as water damage through a leaky roof will be covered.  Policies typically provide coverage against damage caused by falling objects such as trees. Damage caused by loss of electrical power such as spoiled food may also be covered. Some insurers offer optional coverage that provides protection against sump pump failure in limited circumstances.  Coverage is subject to policy terms and conditions and to any applicable deductible.  Contact your agent or insurer for specific coverage and claims information.

My car was damaged by flood waters.  Am I covered?

If you purchased comprehensive coverage under your auto insurance policy, you may have coverage available.  Contact your insurer or agent for specific claims information.

I have an oil spill in my basement.  Is there any assistance to help clean that up?

The Maine Department of Environmental Protection has a 24 hour hotline for oil spill assistance. The telephone number is 1-800-482-0777.  In addition to technical assistance, DEP has a financial assistance program for qualifying persons.


For further information, storm victims may wish to call the Maine Bureau of Insurance at 1-800-300-5000 or (207)624-8475.