Consulting Firms FAQs

How do we print our license?

The current process is for us to email a copy of the initial license to the primary/business email address provided at the time of application.  The email will generally be sent within 24-72 hours after license approval and will come from  

Duplicate licenses can be downloaded or emailed by visiting  You will need your Maine license number and Access Code.

How do we get a copy of our license?

You can request a duplicate copy of your license here. Go into the ALMSOnline service using your license number and Access Code.  Once submitted, the license will be automatically emailed to the primary email address you provide.

If you prefer to receive a hard copy of the license in the mail, you can request the duplicate by completing the paper Duplicate License Request form.  The fee is $10 and the license will be mailed within two weeks.

How do we renew our license? What is the fee?

Renewals can be processed via or via the ALMS Online service on our website at If you prefer to renew manually, please wait to receive your renewal invoice via email and follow the instructions on the instructions on the invoice. Invoices are emailed 90 days prior to the renewal due date. Licenses cannot be renewed more than 60 days prior to the renewal date. Renewal Dates and Fees can be found here.

Late Renewals

Renewals submitted after the due date will be assessed an additional $25 late fee. Late renewals may be submitted electronically via or by submitting payment directly to the Bureau of Insurance with credit or debit card information. If you prefer to pay by check, please make it payable to Treasurer, State of Maine. Please wait to receive your late renewal notice via email and follow the payment instructions on the notice.

There is no expiration date on our license.  What is our renewal date?

Resident consulting firm renewal dates are 12/01/even years. Non-resident consulting firm renewal dates are 04/01/odd years.

How do we change our contact information?

Address/Contact information can be changed 1 of 2 ways from our website.

  1. Electronically via ALMS Online with an access code.  This will change your information for Maine only.
  2. Via paper form which can be faxed, e-mailed or mailed.  This will change your information for Maine only

Please note, changing the business entity address does not automatically update that same information for the individual producers affiliated to the entity. 

How do we terminate our license?

Please complete the Business Entity Voluntary Termination Form (PDF) or  Business Entity Voluntary Termination Form (DOCX).

How does a consulting firm change its DRLP?  Can there be more than one DRLP?

An entity can change its Designated Responsible Licensed Producer either by paper or electronically using the access code from the website here. In Maine, there can only be 1 designated DRLP.

How do we obtain our Access Code?

Access Codes are included in the email with your initial license. If you do not have your access code, please submit your request via e-mail at or call 207-624-8475 and request Producer Licensing.

How do we submit an application?

Applications can be submitted electronically via or by downloading the paper application at and submit by e-mail, fax or regular mail.

What are the application fees?

The resident consulting firm application and licensee fee is $75.  The non-resident consulting firm application and license fee is $125.

How does our consulting firm update its Officer/Director information?

You can submit any Officer/Director changes electronically at Business Entity License Changes. Or, they can be submitted by e-mail, fax or regular mail. We do not have a designated form at this time.

Our consulting firm has had a name change.  What do we do?

If there is no change to the Federal Tax ID number (FEIN) for the entity, simply complete the Business Entity Name Change Form (PDF) or Business Entity Name Change Form (DOCX).  There is no fee, UNLESS you want a new license printed which the fee is then $10.  If, however, there is a change to the FEIN, it is considered a new entity and you must go through the application process.

How do we submit an affiliation and is there a fee?

Affiliations can be done either by paper or electronically using the access code from our website here. There is NO fee for a new affiliation or to terminate an affiliation.

How do we contact the Licensing Section?