Welcome to the Maine Board of Licensure in Medicine
About the Board
"For the Protection of the Health, Safety and Welfare of the Public."
The Board of Licensure in Medicine is the state agency responsible for protecting the health and safety of the public by determining who may be licensed for medical practice in this state and by regulating the medical practice of those licensees.
The members of the Board are appointed by the Governor. The Board is composed of both physician and non-physician representatives of the public. All members must have been Maine residents for at least five years at the time of their appointment and the physician members must have been licensed and actively practicing medicine in the state.
The Board employs its own administrative and investigative staff and is provided with the legal and investigative staff by the Maine Department of Attorney General.
The mission of the Board of Licensure in Medicine is to safeguard the health, welfare, safety and lives, of the people of Maine by ensuring that the public is served by competent, ethical and honest practitioners. To accomplish this the Board will:
- license only qualified medical doctors and physician assistants;
- monitor the practice of medicine to insure the integrity of the profession and to maintain high professional standards and conduct;
- provide the public a forum to have complaints heard and impartially investigated;
- discipline and sanction licensees who violate the standards of conduct or whose performance is below minimum acceptable standards of proficiency;
- undertake special projects, often in collaboration with other interested groups, that both enhance the profession and meet public needs.
Adopted January 9, 1996
137 State House Station
161 Capitol Street
Augusta, Maine 04333-0143
Telephone: (207) 287-3601
Fax: (207) 287-6590
The Medical Professionals Health Program (MPHP) is a nationally recognized assistance program dedicated to helping health care professionals enter a safe, healthy recovery program. The MPHP has served over 700 healthcare professionals since it was first established in 1987. Their trained staff helps identify, assist, support, and monitor any Maine-licensed medical professional with a potential impairment due to a substance use illness or mental illness.
Get HELP TODAY - CONTACT MPHP
Phone: (207) 623-9266
Did you know the Board offers many online services? From our site licensees can renew or withdraw their license, update their contact information, and take the Jurisprudence exam. The Board also offers online services for the public, including: licensee searches, online complaint submission, and bulk data sales. Check out all the options on our Online Services page.