WARNING: While we have taken care with the accuracy of the files accessible here, they are not "official" state rules in the sense that they can be used before a court. Anyone who needs a certified copy of a rule chapter should contact the APA Office (Maine Administrative Procedure Act).
The rules are available for viewing by clicking on the appropriate links listed below.
- Ch. 1 Physicians (DOCX)
- Ch. 2 Physician Assistants (DOC)
- Ch. 4 Rules for the Issuance of Citations (PDF)
- Ch. 5 Rules for Collaborative Drug Therapy Management (PDF)
- Ch. 6 Telemedicine Standards of Practice(PDF)
- Ch. 10 Sexual Misconduct (Note: Chapter 10 is a joint rule with 02-383, Board of Osteopathic Licensure.) (PDF)
- Ch. 12 Rule Regarding Office Based Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder (Note: Chapter 12 is a joint rule with 02-383, Board of Osteopathic Licensure and 02-380 Board of Nursing.) (PDF)
- Ch. 21 Use of Controlled Substances for Treatment of Pain (PDF)
Disclaimer: The publications of the Maine State Legislature are made available on the Internet as a public service and reliance on any such information is at the user's own risk. The State of Maine, its agencies, officers and employees do not warrant the accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness of any information on the Maine State Legislature's web site and may not be held liable for any losses caused by any person's reliance on the information available on this web site. All copyrights and other rights to statutory text are reserved by the State of Maine. The text included in this publication is current to the end of the First Regular Session of the 119th Legislature (prior to January 1, 2000), but is subject to change without notice. It is a version that has not been officially certified by the Secretary of State. Refer to the Maine Revised Statutes Annotated and supplements for certified text.
The governing statues for the Board of medicine are found in the following locations.This is not a complete listing of Statutes. If you have any questions regarding this material, please contact us at (207) 287-3601.
- Administrative Procedures Act 5 M.R.S. § 8001-10,005
- Board of Licensure in Medicine 32 M.R.S. § 3263 - 3300
- Complaint Investigation - Issuance of subpoenas 10 M.R.S. § 8003-A
- Counseling for HIV Tests 5 M.R.S. § 19204-A
- Department of Professional & Financial Regulations Statutes 10 M.R.S. § 8001-8008
- Good Samaritan Law Immunity from civil liability 14 M.R.S. § 164
- Interstate Medical Compact 32 M.R.S. § 18501-18525
- Letters of Guidance 10 M.R.S. § 8003(5)(E) - point your browser at this link and scroll down to section 5, E.
- License Disqualification on the Basis of Criminal Record 5 M.R.S. Chapter 341, § 5301 § 5304
- Maine Health Security Act 24 M.R.S. § 2501-2511
- Medical Records (patient access and fees) 22 M.R.S. § 1711
- Medical Use of Marijuana 22 M.R.S. § 2383-B 5
- Registration of Deaths 22 M.R.S. § 2842
- Fees charged for records 22 M.R.S. § 1711-A
- Patient access to treatment records; health care practitioners 22 M.R.S. § 1711-B
- Confidentiality of health care information 22 M.R.S. § 1711-C.
- Licensure Required 32 M.R.S. § 3270
- Disciplinary sanctions ( including grounds for discipline) 32 M.R.S. § 3282-A.