Maine Oral Health Program
Revised CDC Guidance & FDA Updates
On April 27, revisions were made to the CDC Interim Infection Prevention and Control Guidance for Dental Settings During the COVID-19 Response. These revisions include the following:
- To address asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission, implement source control (require facemasks or cloth face coverings) for everyone entering the dental setting (dental healthcare personnel [DHCP] [ 1 ] and patients), regardless of whether they have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Actively screen everyone on the spot for fever and symptoms of COVID-19 before they enter the dental setting.
- Actively screen DHCP on the spot for fever and symptoms before every shift.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration Dental Guidance
OSHA released their Guidance for Dentistry Workers and Employers on May 1.
American Dental Hygienists' Association Releases Interim Guidance on Return to Work ADHA Updates on COVID-19
To assist dental hygienists with the many unanswered questions about how to safely return to work, and the need for and availability of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), the ADHA Task Force on Return to Work has developed the ADHA Interim Guidance on Return to Work. This report provides evidence-based guidance for dental hygienists and will be continually updated as a living resource for the profession. It also includes a Readiness to Return to Work Checklist and Patient Questionnaire
Guidelines for Mobile/Portable Dental Care Programs
Finding and Providing Dental Care
- For assistance finding a dental practice that will accept MaineCare members, call MaineCare Member Services at 1-800-977-6740
- Dental Clinics and Services for Maine Residents (PDF) - This newly revised (December 2018) directory provides detailed descriptions of Maine's dental clinics and services including requirements and restrictions and is meant to provide a resource for health and social services providers likely to be assisting clients in obtaining the dental care they need.
- Public and Private Clinics in Maine - an abbreviated listing of the resources included in the directory.
- Safety Net Dental Clinic Manual - This online practical and comprehensive reference manual provides information on all aspects of dental clinic development as well as ongoing operations.
- Fluoride Varnish and Silver Diamine Fluoride: A Resource Guide
- Sugar Out Day
- Primary Smiles - A Bibliography of Children's Books on Oral Health
- List of Lending Library Materials (Word)
- National Museum of Dentistry - Smile-inspiring exhibitions and innovative programs make a impact to educate the public about the importance of good oral health to a healthy life.
- Nutrition Education - Oral Health bulletin board resources
- Dental Injuries (PowerPoint)
- Dental Injuries 101 (PowerPoint) | also as PDF
- Meth Mouth Fact Sheets (Word) | also as PDF