Legislation and Rulemaking
The Maine Department of Labor (DOL) is involved at various stages of Maine's legislative process by:
- Acting as a resource to state legislators, employers, and constituents providing information about the Department’s programs and services;
- Sometimes proposing bills and taking positions as appropriate on legislation that affects Maine workers and employers; and,
- Adopting rules according to laws passed by the Maine State Legislature.
Isaac Gingras, Legislative Liaison
Maine Department of Labor
- 127th Maine Legislature, Second Regular Session (2016)
- 127th Maine Legislature, First Regular Session (2015)
- 126th Maine Legislature, Second Regular Session (2014)
- 126th Maine Legislature, First Regular Session (2013)
- 125th Maine Legislature, Second Regular Session (2012)
- 125th Maine Legislature, First Regular Session (2011)
As a state agency, the Maine Department of Labor is charged with adopting rules to implement laws passed by the Maine State Legislature. The Department adopts all rules in accordance with Maine's Administrative Procedure Act (MRSA 5, chapter 375), which requires public and legislative notice of rulemaking.
The Department has two paths for rulemaking:
- A process for routine technical rulemaking, which is performed by the Department's Commissioner; and,
- A second, which requires the submission of all major substantive rulemaking to the Legislature for review and approval.
Note: Categorizing rules as routine technical or major substantive is a matter of legislative discretion.
Proposed Rules and Rule Changes
List of rule chapters which the Department is proposing changes and the rule chapters the Department is proposing for the first time.
Routine technical proposed rulemaking actions
Notice: July 19, 2017
Maine Unemployment Insurance Commission
Rule Title: Able and Available Requirements
Rule Title: Benefit Payments to Illegal Aliens
Rule Title: Other Remuneration
Rule Title: Unemployment Fraud or Misrepresentation by Claimants
Major substantive proposed rulemaking actions
- Currently, there are no major substantive proposed rules.
- Maine Labor Statutes
- Maine State Legislature
- Legislation Status Search
- How a Bill Becomes Law
- All Maine Revised Statutes