Water Operator Exams
Examinations are standardized exams produced by ABC, Association of Boards of Certification. These exams are nationally based, multiple choice, validated and reviewed. The Board welcomes operators to become subject matter experts and participate in the exam development process.
Exams may be taken in the traditional paper-based process or the computer-based process. Exams do not need to be taken in the sequential process (pass lower levels and work one's way up) and can be taken in a direct process (take one exam at the level one wishes licensure).
Important Notice Regarding Exam Facilities
AMP/PSI has begun reopening its Maine computer based testing facilites. To register on-line go to www.goamp.com.
Applied Measurements Professionals (AMP) offers Water Operator Exams for Maine licensure in Auburn, Farmington, Portland, and Presque Isle.
Exam Prices are $75 for VSWS and $98 for Class I- IV Treatment and Distribution
You may sign up on line or through the mail directly with AMP. Applications through the mail will take longer but can be done with the use of this application form and by calling AMP at (800) 345-6559.
To register on-line go to www.goamp.com. Most questions you may have concerning computerized testing can be answered on this site. It is very important to read the Candidate Handbook. David Welch, (207) 287-3056, is available to answer lincensing questions. Assistance for the website is avaialable from AMP at (800) 345-6559.
Bangor Testing Site Established
The Board of Licensure of Water System Operators has been advised by the Association of Boards of Certification that a Bangor water operator examination site has been established. It is our understanding that PSI, Inc. has contracted with Northeast Technical Institute, 1435 Broadway, Bangor for a testing site. It is also our understanding that the PSI, Inc. registration website will be updated effective January 27, 2020. See below for examination registration instructions.
To Sign Up Online for a Computer-based Exam
- Once on www.goamp.com website, choose "Candidates"
- Select a category > Water/Wastewater
- Select a program > Maine Board of Licensure of Water System Operators
- Select an examination > you may select one at a time or multiple exams, however you must schedule each exam separately.
- The Application form is only necessary if paying other than by credit card. The same questions will be asked in the Log-In process
- You will be asked to create a Log In - think about this, make sure you can remember your user name and password.
- This will have your contact information and will create a page for you to return to on later visits. Once you have created a Log In you will be able to go directly to your page. It will remember what exam you wish to take.
- Scheduling an examination - Once you have a "My Home" page, you will be able to schedule your test. Click on the Schedule box, select an Assessment Center. In Maine we presently have four sites: a central site in Bangor, a western site in Farmington, a Southern site in Portland, and a Northern site in Presque Isle. The directions are available by clicking the "Locate Testing Centers" box. You may take the test at any AMP testing site.
- Check out - Select a day; the fee, time selection and payment information will appear and payment and scheduling will take place.
- Please call with any questions or comments you may have. The Board is committed to assuring the examination process is as secure as possible while improving exam availability for operators.
Training providers may be found here. Classes may be found in the Professional Development Calendar.
Once you have passed the exam you may apply for licensure.
Your first license is the initial license. This may be a license in one or both treatment and distribution disciplines. When you take and pass a higher level of exam you may apply for an upgraded license. Click here to open the Application for Licensure (pdf). Note: Exam results are accepted for one calendar year from the exam date.