Source Water Protection
Financial Resources Available
Grants and loans are available to assist public water systems in protecting their drinking water sources.
- Land Acquisition Loans are available for the purchase or legal control of land within a water system's source protection area.
- Source Protection Grants are available for projects that will clearly reduce the likelihood of contamination occurring in a water system's source protection area by existing or future activities.
Maps and Data
Our GIS database helps protect public water sources. This database contains GPS (global positioning system) locations of all public water supply wells and intakes in the State of Maine. A wellhead protection area coverage has also been added. Gravel well delineations and watersheds for surface water supplies will be added as they come available. You can find a list of your county's public water supplies online by clicking here (PDF).
The Maine Office of GIS also has an internet mapping site where you can find locations of public water supplies in your hometown. Hard copy color maps are also available for municipalities and consultants upon request from Drinking Water Program.
For More Information
To learn more about source water protection, contact Ashley Hodge: Email or phone (207) 822-2341
- Safe Home Program (PDF)
- Salmon Falls Watershed Collaborative (University of New Hampshire)
- Senator George J. Mitchell Center Source Protection Digests (University of Maine)
- Source Water Protection (EPA)
- Source Water Collaborative
- Trust for Public Land (TPL) Partnerships