DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Agriculture → Division of Animal and Plant Health → Animal Health → Import Permits Form
Maine Livestock Importation Permits
Please note: Importation permits are often just one part of the entry requirements for livestock into Maine. Consult Ch. 206 or InterstateLivestock.com or call Animal Health at 207-287-3701 to determine if additional paperwork (e.g. Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, USDA VS 9-3 form/NPIP certification, or additional health tests or vaccines are required to import your animals to Maine.
Import Permits for weekend transport must be requested no later than the preceding Thursday.
The following animals DO NOT require an import permit:
- Cats and dogs not for resale. For rescue and resale animals, please contact Animal Welfare Program at (207) 287-3846.
Permits are required for:
- Farmed Deer, Elk or hybrids: Please contact Dr. Carolyn Hurwitz, (207) 592-6698.
- Goats: Required to be enrolled in the USDA Scrapie program.
- Sheep: Required to be enrolled in the USDA Scrapie program.
- Swine: Please note that “Pet Pigs” are still considered livestock and must meet all import requirements for swine. Pet microchips are NOT acceptable forms of ID.
- Wildlife or Exotic Animals: Please contact Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife, (207) 287-5252 or (207) 287-8000.
- Anything unusual: Please contact Animal Health, (207) 287-3701
- A permit will not be issued unless you provide the physical address for both parties.
- Cattle, goats, sheep and swine all require official USDA approved ID.
- Equine don’t require an import permit. Negative coggins within the last 12 months and a health certificate.
The health certificate for swine require the following statements:
- “To the best of my knowledge, swine represented on this certificate have not originated from premises known to be affected by Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus (PEDv), and have not been exposed to PEDv within the last 30 days.
- No raw garbage fed.
- No pseudorabies vaccinated.
Import Permits Request Form