DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Maine Geological Survey → Explore Maine Geology → Mining and Quarrying in Maine
Mining and Quarrying in Maine
- Our virtual tour is a series of photos which portray some of the history and types of Maine mining and quarrying.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Metallic Mineral Deposits of Maine (map)
- Known occurrences of metallic minerals shown on a generalized geologic map of Maine. Locations of ten "significant" deposits also shown. For more information, see Maine's Mineral Resources database.
- Maine's Mineral Resources (database and interactive map)
- Comprehensive information about metallic and non-metallic mineral resources compiled for sites in Maine, including occurrences, showings, prospects, significant deposits, and historical mines available in an interactive map and as a CSV file for download. Includes town, reported commodities, site characteristics, and source information for each locality.
- Core Repository and Mineral Exploration Data
- The Maine Geological Survey maintains a repository of rock core obtained by diamond drilling for mineral exploration projects over many years. In addition to the physical rock core that have been donated to the Maine Survey, there are associated paper records, which include such things as maps of drill core locations, technical logs of drill core, and a limited amount of geochemical and geophysical information and geologic reports.
- Historical Mining Claims and Active Exploration Claims (interactive map)
- Historical mining and active exploration claims locations and links to supporting claim maps and exploration files.
- Maps and Publications Search
- To search for mineral investigation reports, aeromagnetic and gravity maps, enter appropriate keywords in the Maps and Publications Search.
- Metal Mining
- Overview of Maine Metallic Mineral Deposits and Mining
- Metal Mining and the Environment - General geoscience information about the types of environmetal issues related to mining metallic minerals. Available for viewing or free download from the American Geosciences Institute.
- Legacy Mines in Maine
- Alder Pond Massive Sulfide Deposit - Will mining return to Maine???
- History of Mining in Maine
- History of Metal Mining in Maine - fact sheet giving brief history
- Mining in Maine: Past, Present, and Future - general history of Maine mining
- Thar's Silver in Them Thar Hills: Maine's Silver Rush - description of Maine's silver rush in 1878-1882
- The Iron Age of Maine - 1800's - Katahdin Iron Works - bog iron operation in the 1800's
- The Iron Age of Maine, Part II - The Shapleigh Iron Company: A Foray into Industrial (geo)Archaeology
- Exploration and Mining on State Lands - Regulations
- Mineral Exploration and Mining on State Lands - requirements and procedures for exploring on state lands
- Stone Quarrying
- Exterior Stone of Some Architecturally Prominent Buildings, Portland, Maine
- Granite Quarrying in Maine - general description of Maine's granite quarries
- History of Quarrying in Maine
- Mosquito Mountain Quarry
- Geochemical Information
Mining in Maine - Regulations
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection
- Mining Page - references environmental regulations and performance standards for borrow pits, quarries, and metal mines in Maine
- Current Metallic Mining Rules - Scroll down to Chapter 200
- Update of Maine's Mining Rules
Geological Society of Maine Metallic Minerals Conference 2012
- Stone Quarries and Beyond - historical information on Maine stone quarries
Maine State Minerals Information
- The Mineral Industry of Maine - U.S. Geological Survey Minerals Yearbook
- Mineral Resources Data System (MRDS) - U.S. Geological Survey
Last updated on November 16, 2021