FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 5, 2013
Contact: Vanessa Macoy
Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap to Visit Polling Locations across Maine for Statewide Election
Five bond questions are on the ballot, and for several towns, this will be the first election using the DS200 tabulators.
AUGUSTA, Maine -- Secretary Dunlap has released his schedule for polling visits on Election Day 2013. The Secretary will be available to answer media questions during the visits and at any time during the day.
?The importance of these bond questions may not be apparent to the casual observer, but in reality, the voters are deciding on crucial issues impacting the Maine National Guard, the University of Maine system, transportation projects, the Maine Maritime Academy, and Community Colleges,? said Secretary Dunlap.? ?The results of this election will impact the way Maine invests in our future for years to come.?
The new digital optical scan tabulators were selected after a competitive bid process in August 2012, and deployed in 228 cities and towns in the fall of 2012 and the summer of 2013. All but a handful of towns with more than 1,000 registered voters will be using tabulators to count their paper ballots for Statewide elections through 2017. Municipalities have the option to use the tabulators for their local ballots or to hand-count them. This uniform tabulation system replaces the 4 types of analog optical ballot scanners that were previously used by about 125 municipalities. All State ballots will now have a uniform design as well, with voters marking their choices by filling in an oval to the left of the ballot question.
Secretary Dunlap will be visiting the following polling locations. Times listed are approximate:
- 7:30am Old Town, Knights Of Columbus Hall, 5 Gilman Falls Avenue
- 8:30am Lincoln, Mattanawcook Academy Gymnasium, 33 Reed Drive
- 9:30am Veazie, Veazie Municipal Building, Council Chambers, 1084 Main Street
- 11:00am Ellsworth, Ellsworth City Hall Auditorium, 1 City Hall Plaza
- 12pm Searsport, Searsport Public Safety Building, 3 Union Street
- 2:30pm Lewiston, Lewiston Memorial Armory, 65 Central Avenue
- 3:45pm Freeport, Freeport High School Gymnasium, Holbrook Street
- 5:00pm Plymouth, Plymouth Grange Hall, 1927 Moosehead Trail
- 6:00pm Bangor, Cross Insurance Center, 515 Main Street
Information about this election, including bond issues and the State Treasurer’s Statement is online at: http://maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/upcoming.html