Obtaining a Credit Report

A new law requires credit reporting agencies to provide any Maine consumer one free copy of his or her credit report annually.

This does not change the requirement for credit reporting agencies to provide a free copy if a consumer receives an adverse credit action or is unemployed and actively seeking work.

Request credit report online at www.annualcreditreport.com

Print and mail request form (DOC format)

Remember: If you are making the request jointly with a spouse, each spouse must supply all the requested information, and both spouses must sign the request. In addition, if you are living at a new address or if your report has any "mixed file" issues, then the credit reporting agencies can write back to you asking for additional proof of your identity or address. In these cases, to save time you should include with this request some definite proof that you live at your current address, such as a copy of your driver's license, a copy of a bank or insurance statement, or a utility bill.

When your credit report is sent to you, it will include directions on what to do if your file contains errors. You will be asked to mail your written dispute back to the credit reporting agency, and the agency is required by law to promptly investigate your dispute and remove or correct any erroneous, outdated or incomplete information.

For more information on credit reports and credit scores, you may want to read our "Downeaster Consumer Guide to Credit Reports and Credit Scores" (pdf)or for screen readers, (rtf).