Lung Injury Associated with E-Cigarette Use or Vaping
The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Maine CDC) is working with clinical and public health partners in Maine, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (U.S. CDC), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and others to investigate an outbreak of lung injury associated with use of e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
What we know
Updated October 11, 2019
- Five cases of lung illness related to e-cigarette products have been reported by the Maine CDC.
- The cases involve one youth and four adults.
- Most of the cases were treated at hospitals in Cumberland and York counties, and one case was treated in Aroostook County.
- No deaths from this illness have been reported in Maine.
- Maine CDC and the Maine Office of the Attorney General is increasing compliance checks on e-cigarette purchases at retailers throughout Maine to prevent sales to youth.
Across the Country
- As of October 8, 2019, 1,299 lung injury cases associated with using e-cigarette, or vaping, products have been reported to U.S. CDC from 48 states and 1 U.S. territory.
- Twenty-six deaths have been confirmed in 21 states
- All patients have reported a history of using e-cigarette, or vaping, products.
- Most patients report a history of using THC-containing products. The latest national and regional findings suggest products containing THC play a role in the outbreak.
- Approximately 70% of patients are male.
- Approximately 80% of patients are under 35 years old.
- 16% of patients are under 18 years old
- 21% of patients are 18 to 20 years old
For the public:
- US CDC - Severe Lung Disease
- US CDC General information - Severe Lung Disease
- The Maine ENDS Toolkit (PDF)
For health care providers
- Maine CDC e-Cigarette/Lung Injury Webinar
- Severe Lung Disease
Maine News Releases
- Maine Reports Four Additional Cases of Lung Illness Related to E-cigarette Products – 10/3/2019
- Maine reports a case of lung illness related to e-cigarette use – 9/20/2019
- Maine responds to a national outbreak of e-cigarette-related illness – 9/18/2019
- Maine CDC Promotes Awareness of Law to Prevent Vaping in Schools – 8/27/2019
Maine CDC Health Alert Network System (HAN)
- Vaping-associated Pulmonary Illness - Reporting Now Required – 10/3/2019 - Vaping Advisory (PDF) | Disease Reporting Form
- Maine Reports a Case of Lung Illness Related to E-Cigarette Use (PDF) – 9/20/2019
- Severe Pulmonary Disease Associated with Using E-Cigarette Products (PDF) – 8/30/2019
- Vaping-associated Pulmonary Illness - Call for Cases (PDF) – 8/21/2019