Maine CDC Health Advisory
December 15, 2022
Increase in Syphilis in Maine
- Syphilis cases have been increasing in Maine over the past several years, particularly among women.
- The increase in syphilis cases among women of reproductive age is concerning because of the potential risk of congenital syphilis if she is pregnant.
- All pregnant persons at the first prenatal visit, and retest at 28 weeks gestation and at delivery if at high risk
- Maine CDC recommends testing for syphilis in all patients who are obtaining any sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing.
- Providers should presumptively treat if a patient is symptomatic, is a contact to a syphilis case, belongs to a high-risk group, or if follow-up is uncertain.
- Report all cases of syphilis to Maine CDC at 1-800-821-5821.