Mar 26, 2021
The Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office for Family Independence (OFI) announced today that Maine people who participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) can now make online food purchases at Amazon and Walmart using their electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card.
As part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) Online Purchasing Pilot:
- SNAP benefits can be used at Amazon and Amazon Fresh and Walmart for delivery or curbside pick-up purchases.
- Amazon accepts SNAP food benefits only.
- Walmart accepts both SNAP and EBT cash benefits.
- SNAP recipients can purchase the same food items online as in the store.
- SNAP benefits cannot be used for delivery charges.
Online EBT purchasing in Maine promotes equitable and safe shopping options during the COVID-19 pandemic and gives low-income households access to the same purchasing options as other shoppers. DHHS hopes to expand the pilot to include local merchants in the future.
Current SNAP-eligible retailers interested in participating in online EBT purchases should visit the USDA website for more information, including program requirements and instructions for enrollment.