Open Farm Day
Open Farm Day is the fourth Sunday in July! Mark your calendar for the Annual Open Farm Day, Sunday, July 26th, 2020 to experience Open Farm Day throughout the State of Maine!
Open Farm Day celebrates agricultural awareness, to connect the public with farmers, and support Maine agriculture year-round. Join us as we highlight farms who welcome your inquiries to connect directly. Some will offer virtual events for Open Farm Day 2020, or share some special ways to support them, and learn about their role in Maine agriculture.
For Host Farms
Open Farm Day is an annual family adventure for the public learn about the business of agriculture. Open Farm Day gives families the chance to visit local farms throughout the state the fourth Sunday in July.
Farms around the state participate to commit to ensuring the sustainability of agriculture. Maine’s farming industry gives back to their communities by inviting guests to their farms and businesses.
Open Farm Day is a choose your own adventure with education for all ages. Visitors meet the people of Maine agriculture--Maine's farmers and the businesses who support them. Many farms have demonstrations, displays, farm-raised products for sale and animals and crops to experience. Activities include barn and field tours, milking, hay rides, nature trails, beautiful scenery, and samples for tasting and refreshments.
Attend Open Farm day to learn about the value of Maine agriculture and how to support it year-round!
- 7/22/19 - View Maine Farms Via Bike On Open Farm Day
- 7/22/19 - Six Midcoast Creameries Invite Public to Visit on Open Farm Day Sunday, July 28, 2019
- 7/22/19 - Take a Hike for Local Food on the Springvale Farm Walk
For Host Farms
Registration for 2020 is now closed.
Current & potential participant: Receive emails and updates about Open Farm Day
- Agritourism Best Practices (DOCX)
- Preparation Checklist (PDF)
- Blank Daily Schedule (PDF)
- QR Code Visitor Survey Sign, Print-ready, 8.5 x 11 (PDF) – Invite your visitors to use their mobile device QR codes to provide real-time feedback during the event when they are at your farm.
- Directional Signs, Print-ready, 8.5 x 11 (PDF) – A set of 13 signs to help farmers direct and instruct farm visitors to agritourism activities.
- Agritourism Sign, Print-ready, 24 x 30-inch (PDF) – Includes required language from liability statute. May be used as an option to professionally print sign for agritourism activities.
- Liability in Maine Agritourism Statute
- Farm Safety Check: Agritourism - Planning information and safety check lists.
- Extension Training for Agritourism Development - Video modules and supplemental planning material.
- UMaine Cooperative Extension - Variety of agritourism resources for farms.
- Maine Bureau of Insurance, Consumer Guide to Insuring Your Farm –This covers the basics of property and liability coverage. It is a tool for understanding risk management on your farm.
|Fourth Sunday in July||Open Farm Day!|
|November||Update your contact information with ARD|
Interested farm participants should contact Anne Trenholm at ACFOpenFarmDay@maine.gov or 207-287-7620 with questions.
Sign up for news & updates
2021 Date: Sunday, July 25, 2021
2022 Date: Sunday, July 24, 2022
For more information on local farms, food, farmers' markets, agricultural events, local fairs, and more, go to getrealmaine.com, an official site of the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry.