Skip Maine state header navigation
April 9, 2003
HUMAN RESOURCES MEMORANDUM 3-03
|TO:||All Agency Department Heads, Human Resource Representatives|
|SUBJECT:||Value of Benefits when Publishing Salaries: Update of Current Rates|
Maine law requires that a statement of the dollar value of the fringe benefits package provided by the state must be placed in all advertisements that indicate the salary of a position. This includes all advertisements or other announcements that agencies may develop to fill “direct hire” vacancies. This memorandum reflects new health insurance rates.
Effective immediately, all advertisements must reflect the health/dental insurance rates and retirement rates listed below. All previous human resource memoranda pertaining to the value of benefits are superseded.
VALUE OF STATE-PAID HEALTH AND DENTAL INSURANCE (ALL POSITIONS): $265.41 BI-WEEKLY (US1G Health $255.14 / Dental $10.27)
VALUE OF STATE SHARE OF EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT CONTRIBUTIONS FOR:
• AFSCME POSITIONS: 19.30% OF SALARY.
• MSEA-SEIU POSITIONS (EXCEPT LAW ENFORCEMENT AND CERTAIN SUPERVISORY SERVICES LAW ENFORCEMENT CLASSIFICATIONS IDENTIFIED BELOW): 14.75% OF SALARY.
• MSEA-SEIU LAW ENFORCEMENT POSITIONS (SUPERVISORY AND NON-SUPERVISORY) INCLUDED IN THE "1998 SPECIAL PLAN" (INCLUDING MARINE PATROL OFFICERS, GAME WARDENS, LIQUOR INSPECTORS, FIRE MARSHALS, FOREST RANGERS, FIREFIGHTERS, AND BAXTER PARK RANGERS): 20.10% OF SALARY.
• MSEA-SEIU OIL AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SPECIALIST EMERGENCY RESPONSE POSITIONS, EMPLOYED BY THE DEP, DIVISION OF RESPONSE SERVICES, IN A STANDBY ROTATION, INCLUDED IN THE "1998 SPECIAL PLAN" (CHECK WITH BHR FOR SPECIFIC LIST): 16.40% OF SALARY.
• DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS POSITIONS WHEN DUTIES INVOLVE CONTACT WITH PRISONERS, PROBATIONERS, PAROLEES, JUVENILE OFFENDERS, OR SUPERVISORS OF THOSE EMPLOYEES. FOR AFSCME AND CONFIDENTIAL POSITIONS: 20.15% / FOR MSEA-SEIU POSITIONS: 15.60% OF SALARY.
• MAINE STATE TROOPERS ASSOCIATION POSITIONS: 22.36% OF SALARY.
• CLASSIFIED CONFIDENTIAL POSITIONS: 19.30% OF SALARY.
• UNCLASSIFIED CONFIDENTIAL POSITIONS WHEN INCUMBENT HAS ELECTED STATE-PAID RETIREMENT: 19.30% OF SALARY.
ALL RATES ARE FOR EMPLOYEES HIRED UNDER CURRENT RECRUITMENTS, HIRED ON OR AFTER JULY 1, 2002. HEALTH AND DENTAL INSURANCE RATES FOR PART-TIME POSITIONS SHOULD BE PRORATED BASED ON THE FIGURES CITED ABOVE.
Please take immediate steps to ensure that the proper statement for the value of employee benefits is placed in all publications that include employee or position salaries. HR representatives should contact Phil Schlegel (624-7369) or Thaddeus Cotnoir (624-7799) with questions or comments.
S / Donald A. Wills
Donald A. Wills, Director
Bureau of Human Resources