Skip Maine state header navigation
DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE & FINANCIAL SERVICES
Bureau of Human Resources
June 24, 2002
HUMAN RESOURCES MEMORANDUM 5-02
|TO:||All Personnel Officers, Directors of Administrative Services, Payroll Managers|
|FROM:||Donald Wills, Director Bureau of Human Resources|
|SUBJECT:||General Increase Effective July 1, 2002|
Purpose – The purpose of this memorandum is to provide Executive and Judicial Branch agencies with instructions for processing a 2% general increase for employees who are eligible to receive this increase.
Eligibility for Increase – All employees are eligible to receive a 2% general increase unless a fixed salary is set by statute. Some employees’ salaries are set by or subject to the approval of the Governor or a Board or Commission. Specific approval from the salary setting authority must be obtained for all such employees as prescribed by Law before a general increase can be authorized.
Employees Eligible for Automatic Processing – The general increase will be applied automatically to employees for whom eligibility and amount of increase can be determined through electronic means. All of the following conditions must be met:
- Employee must be on active pay status (employment status 1).
- The employee cannot be redlined.
- The position must be active as of July 1, 2002.
- The employee must be assigned to an eligible administrative unit and salary specification.
Eligible Salary Specifications:
01 = Administrative Services
02 = Financial Order – Major Policy Influencing
03 = Educator in Administrative Unit B
04 = Professional & Technical
05 = Nurse Management (with Stipend)
06 = Institutional Services Unit
07 = Nurses with Stipend
08 = Educator in Unit D
09 = Supervisory
10 = Nurse Management (Confidential with Stipend)
11= Military Firefighter
12 = Operations, Maintenance & Support
16 = Clinical Director
18 = Non-Supervisory Workweek Rollback
19 = Education – Confidential
21 = Judges (1.3%)
22 = Case Management Officers (3%)
26 = State Court Administrator (1.3%)
27 = Admin Law Clerk
28 = Law Enforcement – Regular Retirement Plan
30 = State Police – Non-Standard
33 = State Police – 28 Day
35 = Management Confidential
43 = Legislative Non-Partisan/State Paid Retirement
44 = Judicial – Administrative
45 = Judicial – Professional
46 = Judicial - Supervisory
47 = Confidential
48 = Medical Personnel
49 = Superintendent at AMHI
58= Legislative Employees – Employee Paid Retirement
66 = Superintendent at BMHI
Eligible Administrative Units:
A = Administrative Services Bargaining Unit
B = Professional & Technical Services Bargaining Unit
C = Institutional Services Bargaining Unit
D = Supervisory Services Bargaining Unit
E = Operations, Maintenance & Support Services Bargaining Unit
F = Law Enforcement Bargaining Unit
G = State Police Bargaining Unit
H = Major Policy Influencing
J = Judges
L = Legislative
M = Special Assistants to the Governor (Note 1)
O = Employees who have a salary which is set by statute (Note 1 and 2
P = Judicial – Administrative
Q = Judicial – Professional
S = Judicial - Supervisory
X = Confidential Employees with Civil Service Status
Y = Employees whose salary is set by Financial Order/Governor’s Memo (Note 1)
Z = Employees who are statutorily removed from Collective Bargaining (Notes 1 and 2)
(Note 1 – Authorization required)
(Note 2 – Some employees’ salary may be set at a fixed amount in statute and therefore may not be eligible for the general increase)
Employees for Whom Manual Processing is Required
- Cycle A – No Later than Friday July 12, 2002
- Cycle B – No Later than Wednesday July 3, 2002
Processing Procedures and Key Dates
A processing calendar is attached to this memorandum and should be studied in detail. The following key dates and notes will assist you in your ongoing work on MFASIS HR and Payroll, and with the processing of the general increase:
Saturday, June 29th – New salary tables will be loaded on the production system. Refreshing the salary step for any employee after these new tables have been loaded will load the new rate of pay into the employee record. New rates will be loaded in master file records for Cycle B employees.
The Week Beginning July 1st – Cycle A agencies cannot make any master file changes for the pay period ending June 29th as incorrect salary rates may be introduced into the employee record from the new salary tables.
Saturday, July 6th – New rates will be loaded in Master file records for Cycle A employees.
Cycle B Time and Attendance Worksheet for the General Salary Increase
The general salary increase for Cycle B employees splits the pay period for the pay date of
July 17, 2002. Cycle B payroll officers may make their time and attendance entries for the
July 17th pay date from Monday, July 8th through Thursday, July 11th. These instructions address the impact on time and attendance of applying the general salary increase for this split pay period.
- The MFASIS HR system will automatically pro-rate the employee’s base (regular) pay based on the increase date. The pay stub will show an average of the new and old base rates under the ‘REGULAR’ rate of pay.
- Employees with an automatic special pay of Scheduled Overtime, Non Standard, Recruit/Retention Stipend, or 5% In Lieu of Retirement will be paid using the new base rate for the entire period. This will result in a small overpayment to those employees. This overpayment has been approved by the State and the respective unions. It is not necessary to do time and attendance transactions to adjust this overpayment.
- Time and attendance will be required for employees who work more or less than their regularly scheduled hours in either week of the pay period.
- Two entries must be made on the HUAU1 screen. The first entry will contain the regular hours and overtime for the first week using the base rate prior to the increase. The second entry will contain the regular hours and overtime for the second week using the new increase rates. An example is provided below.
- All rates for time and attendance entries must be keyed. Do not allow the system to determine the rates for you.
Regular rate before increase: $10.00 Regular rate after increase: $10.30 Overtime rate before increase: $15.00 Overtime rate after increase: $15.45
First week regular time worked: 40 hours First week premium overtime worked: 3 hours Second week regular time worked: 40 hours Second week premium overtime worked: 1 hour
The time and attendance entries required are:
Mileage Allowance – Effective July 1, 2002, the mileage allowance will be increased from thirty cents ($.30) per mile to thirty-two cents ($.32) per mile.
June 2002 Calendar
July 2002 Calendar