August 1, 2012
For Immediate Release: July 31, 2012 Contact: Dawn Self-Cooper, York County CareerCenter, 207-324-5460
Springvale—The York County CareerCenter in Springvale continues its monthly workshop programs for job seekers and those who are considering training to upgrade their skills and increase their employability. The month of August offers numerous opportunities to reinvigorate job searches or jumpstart a career change.
- Resume Workshop – Tuesday, August 7, 9 a.m.– noon. Explore the basics of resume writing and learn how to promote the qualifications you have that directly match what the employer needs.
- Computer Basics—An Introduction to Using a Computer—Friday, August 10, 9–11 a.m. Join staff from the CareerCenter in an interactive session. Space is limited so please call to reserve a seat.
- York County Works – Tuesday August 14, 9–11 a.m. “Volunteering – The Way to Your Next Job.” As part of its mission, United Way of York County helps bring people and resources together to strengthen our communities. Join Meaghan Arzburger, manager of volunteer engagement at the United Way to explore the value of volunteering and to learn how to use it to open doors of opportunity. Space will be limited; please register in advance.
- Internet Basics – Friday, August 17, 9–11 a.m. Join staff from the CareerCenter in a “hands” on workshop. Space is limited, please reserve a seat in advance.
- Interview Workshop – Tuesday, August 21, 9 a.m.–noon. Learn new interviewing techniques by role playing interviews. Registration required.
- Basic Word – Friday, August 24, 9–11 a.m. CareerCenter staff members will offer an introduction to Microsoft Word. Space is limited, please reserve a seat in advance.
- GATEways to Employment – Monday, August 27, 9 a.m.–noon. Learn how assessments can identify abilities, interests and skills and discover the unadvertised job market. Other topics include: Job Search Strategies, Resume and Cover Letter Tips and Interviewing.
The York County CareerCenter will also feature several sessions led by partner organizations in August.
- Adecco Staffing – Every Thursday in August, an Adecco representative will be recruiting at the York County CareerCenter in Springvale from 10 a.m.–2 p.m. Current openings available with Poland Springs, Corning Life Sciences and GE. No need to pre-register.
- Women Unlimited, Non-Traditional Occupations Specialists—If you are interested in exploring non-traditional occupations for women or are considering finding a better paying job, contact Sue LeClair, a non-traditional occupations specialist with Women Unlimited, at (207) 215-6992.
- Essentials of College Planning—Christy Le of Maine Educational Opportunity Center (MEOC) will hold workshops covering topics on College Awareness and Planning along with the Federal Financial Aid process. During the workshop she will assist participants in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To register for the next MEOC workshop call 1-800-281-3703.
- Goodwill Workforce Solutions administers federally funded employment and training programs through the Workforce Investment Act (WIA). Certain eligibility requirements apply. If you think you might qualify or could benefit from this program please call the Workforce Solutions Center in Biddeford at 207-571-3301 to schedule a date for an orientation.
- Maine Centers for Women Work & Community offers no cost classes in Assertive Communication, Creating Your Future, Creating the Rest of Your Life, Credit Yourself, Entrepreneurial Training, Financing Your Future, Professional Development and Mature Worker Activities. For more information, call Ruth Graves in Saco at 286-1722.
CareerCenters offer a variety of services to help people find employment or upgrade skills. Each center provides several public-access computer workstations with Microsoft Office software, resume writing and cover letter software, Internet access and O’Net software for skills assessment. All CareerCenter services are free of charge.
The York County CareerCenter, located at 9 Bodwell Court in Springvale, is open 8 a.m.– 5 p.m., Monday through Friday and can be reached at 207-324-5460 or 1-800-343-0151 (TTY users should dial Maine Relay 711). You can also find more information at the CareerCenter website, www.mainecareercenter.com.
Maine CareerCenters are an equal opportunity provider. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.