Jan 31, 2020
We've released our fourth Who We Serve snapshot, which provides key statistics for major programs throughout DHHS. Updated quarterly, it shows at a glance the content and scope of DHHS services.
During this past quarter (October 1 to December 31, 2019), our work to improve services for Maine people included:
- Continuing to improve access to health care through MaineCare expansion, with 43,298 people enrolled as of January 2, 2020
- Supporting adults with developmental disabilities, autism and brain injury in their homes and communities
- Continuing to bolster Public Health Nursing and promote safe sleep practices for babies
- Promoting education and training for Maine people through the January launch of the Higher Opportunity for Pathways to Employment (HOPE) program
- Developing a strategy to serve adults with developmental disabilities and autism with more responsive and inclusive services
- Tackling the effects of substance use on Maine children and families
- Improving options for those experiencing behavioral health crises and supporting providers in improving medication management.
Constituent Services provides support to those with questions or concerns regarding any of the many programs and services offered through DHHS. Acting as a liaison, Constituent Services coordinates with the Commissioner's office, the Maine congressional delegation, the Office of the Governor, State legislators and members of the public to resolve problems and answer inquiries.
Some of the most common types of questions revolve around program eligibility and benefits, health services such as aging or mental health, and child welfare. Often influenced by topics in the news, policy changes, and other factors, the number of inquiries fluctuate year to year. In 2019, for example, the Department experienced a 79% increase in individuals reaching out about eligibility and benefits. With the implementation of MaineCare expansion in January 2019, this increase likely stems from additional attention and questions surrounding newly eligible Mainers.
|Constituent Service Inquiry by Topic||2018||2019||2018-19 Change|
Individuals in need of assistance may submit inquiries online, by phone at (207) 287-5846, or by email at email@example.com. Please note that Constituent Services is not to be used in the event of an emergency or to report abuse or neglect.