December 2, 2021
The Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of the Health Insurance Marketplace (OHIM) today released an update on plan selections through CoverME.gov, Maine’s new Health Insurance Marketplace.
OHIM provided the first update on November 18 and will continue updates every two weeks throughout open enrollment, which began on November 1, 2021 and ends on January 15, 2022.
Since the start of open enrollment through November 27 on CoverME.gov:
- 13,820 Mainers actively selected plans for affordable health coverage in 2022.
- This includes 2,014 new consumers and 11,806 returning consumers who actively selected a plan for 2022.
- 42,538 users have visited CoverME.gov.
- 15,710 calls and chats have been received by The Consumer Assistance Center.
- 16,745 people have used the Plan Compare tool, which allows users to get information about eligibility for financial assistance and evaluate plan options prior to starting an application.
Plan selections provide a snapshot of activity by new and returning consumers who have selected a plan for 2022. “Plan selections” become “enrollments” once consumers have paid their first monthly premium to begin coverage. These numbers are subject to change as consumers may modify or cancel plans after their initial selection.
The deadline to select a plan for coverage beginning January 1, 2022 is December 15, 2021. Consumers who select a plan after that date will have coverage beginning February 1, 2022.
As in previous years, those who already have a Marketplace plan will be automatically re-enrolled in their current plan or the most similar offering from their health insurance carrier. Consumers are encouraged to visit CoverME.gov to check out new plans and update their family and income information as new financial assistance is available that may offer more affordable coverage that best meets their needs.