Home → History
History of the Office of the State Auditor
The Office of the State Auditor originated in 1883 with the establishment of a three-member Committee to examine accounts of the State Treasurer. In 1907, the Committee was replaced by a State Auditor who examined all accounts and demands against the State, including all matters requiring payment from the State Treasury.
In 1931, the Department of Audit was created under the administrative direction of the State Auditor who is elected by joint ballot of the Legislature for a term of four years. In January, 1945, the position of Deputy Auditor was established.
In 1987, the Department assumed responsibility for conducting the State of Maine's annual Single Audit in accordance with the Single Audit Act. The audit is conducted in accordance with the auditing standards generally accepted in the United States of America and the standards applicable to financial audits contained in Government Auditing Standards, issued by the Comptroller General of the United States.
In 1992 the position of Fiscal Administrator of the Unorganized Territory was officially added following the Department's performance of this function for several years.
On October 9, 2013, the name of the Department of Audit changed to the Office of the State Auditor. This change is consistent with Public Law Chapter 16 of the 126th Maine Legislature.