Maine State Auditor's Fraud Hotline

Dear Maine Citizens:

You can help improve efficiency and eliminate waste in our State government by reporting incidents of suspected fraud, waste, inefficiency or abuse to me, the Maine State Auditor. While I will not take anonymous complaints, I am authorized to keep your identity confidential under Maine law. Please give me the important details. Our office has developed a web-based form for your use. You can complete and submit the form online anytime; print and complete a blank form and mail or fax it to me; or call us during public hours, M-F, 8 to 4, to report by telephone. If possible, use the online form, fax or U.S. mail because we have limited staff to answer phones.

Be sure to let us know how to contact you for further information. Our form should guide you to give us the facts needed to investigate appropriately, but it's hard to design a form that fits every situation. We may need specific details that don't fit a general form.

We will refer any criminal complaint to the appropriate authority, either the Attorney General or a District Attorney, but we will try to assess the financial impact of the matter using our professional expertise. We may refer matters of ineffectiveness and inefficiency to the Legislative Office of Program Evaluation and Government Accountability. Please understand that we may need time to investigate. Proper analysis of the matter is important to me.

As State Auditor, I am responsible for reporting the nature of the complaint and other facts to the Governor and for publishing the report on this website. I will also publish a semiannual report to the Governor and the Legislature. Thank you for helping preserve our state government resources.

Matthew Dunlap, CIA
State Auditor

To report fraud, abuse, or other improper or illegal acts, use the on-line complaint form or contact us via the methods below.

US Mail:
Maine State Auditor
66 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0066

(207) 624-6250
(Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm, except State holidays)

(207) 624-6273