Domestic Partner Registry
P.L. 2003, c. 672, enacted by the Legislature and signed into law on April 28, 2004, establishes the concept of domestic partners in Maine law. Under the law, registered domestic partners are accorded a legal status similar to that of a married person with respect to matters of probate, guardianships, conservatorships, inheritance, protection from abuse, and related matters. The legislation establishes a Domestic Partner Registry housed within the Division of Health Systems, Maine CDC vital records office. A Division of the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.
Maine CDC has developed forms for the declaration and termination of registered domestic partnerships. Those forms are posted on this site and are available as a word document or a PDF file. Please see the links below. Forms are also available at Municipal Offices in Maine, Regional Department of Health and Human Services offices and at Probate Courts in Maine.
Microsoft Word (These forms were developed using Word 2000 and formatted with reduced margins in order to fit the form on one page. If your printed version of the form exceeds one page, please download and print the PDF version.)
- Instructions and Information for the Domestic Partner Registry (word*)
- Declaration of Domestic Partnership Form (word*)
- Termination of Domestic Partnership by Mutual Consent Form (word*)
- Alternate Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership Form (3 pages) (word*)
- Instructions and Information for the Domestic Partner Registry (pdf*)
- Declaration of Domestic Partnership Form (pdf*)
- Termination of Domestic Partnership by Mutual Consent Form (pdf*)
- Alternate Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership Form (3 pages) (pdf*)