Documents Needed

An essential part of a successful VA claim is the gathering of documents needed to support any and all issues that you wish to claim. Your Veteran Service Officer will be able to assist you in identifying and requesting the necessary documents, but please see below for some general guidelines.

Typical Documents Required In Order to File a Claim:

Who's Responsible for Obtaining Records?

The VA is required to obtain records from:

  • Any federal agency, including the military
  • VA medical centers, including private facilities where VA has authorized treatment
  • The Social Security Administration

You are responsible for obtaining records from:

  • State or local governments (including the National Guard)
  • Private doctors and hospitals
  • Current or former employers

Other Documents that May be Required to File a Claim:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificates for all children being claimed as dependents, including biological, adopted, and step-children
  • Bank statements
  • Proof of unemployment compensation
  • Itemized expenses for funeral/burial