Military Discharge Requests

Copies of military discharges (DD214 form or equivalent) are required as proof of service when applying for benefits offered through state and federal agencies as well as local municipalities. Below is a list of resources for accessing copies of military discharges.

  1. If you are a veteran whose home of record at time of entry into the service was the State of Maine then the Bureau of Veterans' Services may have a copy of your DD214 (or equivalent) on file. Applications are available on line, however your computer must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in order to open the form. A free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader may be obtained by clicking Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once you are ready to download the form, click the following link for the application. The completed application will need to be mailed to our Bureau for processing. Requests generally are responded to within two business days of receipt.
  2. If you entered from another state then you should visit the website of the National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs for a listing of state directors by clicking NASDVA.
  3. The National Archives and Records Administration may also be able to assist in providing you with a copy from the National Personnel Records Center. Visit their website by clicking NARA and follow the instructions for completing a request.