Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where can I get a copy of my DD214?

The Maine Bureau of Veterans' Services just might have a copy. If you separated from the military and listed Maine as your Home of Record (HOR), we should have received a copy of your DD 214. However, if Maine was not your HOR, or we do not have your DD 214 on file, we can help you obtain one through the Records Management Center or a request through the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).

2. Where can I get a copy of my medical and/or personnel records

The National Personnel Records Center keeps copies of active military personnel and medical records unless you are already enrolled in the VA for your healthcare. If NPRC does not have your medical records, the VA would be the next place to check.

3. Can I apply for Social Security Disability if I have a VA Disability Rating?

A veteran who meets the disability requirements to receive benefits from the VA does not always qualify for Social Security disability benefits. The eligibility requirements for benefits under the two programs are not the same.

For example, the VA pays benefits to a person with a partial disability. Social Security disability income (SSDI) benefits are paid only to a claimant whose impairments are so severe that they prevent any kind of substantial gainful work.

In March 2014, SSA received instructions to expedite processing of disability claims for individuals with a 100% Permanent and Total (P&T) disability compensation rating from the VA. Only veterans with a 100% P&T rating receive expedited processing for their SSDI claims. For more information, please visit this link:

4. I separated from the military on the Temporary Retired Disability List (TDRL). Is there someone I can speak with who knows this process and what a Permanent Retirement (PDRL) means?

Being placed on the TDRL and moved to the PDRL or just medically separated are complicated processes and each veteran's process is unique. The Department of Defense (DOD) and the VA do not assess the same disability rating and this causes a lot of confusion.

We encourage anyone who finds themselves trying to navigate this process to speak with a Veteran Service Officer at the Maine Bureau of Veterans' Services to help you understand what your DOD and VA ratings will mean for you in the future. Please email, or call our main office at (207) 430-6035, To find the VSO nearest you, please check our office locations.

5. I believe I am missing awards and would like to request them. Can someone at BVS help me?

Yes! Please call our main office at (207) 430-6035 or email us at to discuss your specific request with us.

6. I am or know a friend or family member who is trying to help a veteran but I am not quite sure where to start.

Please call or email us so we can help you help your veteran. You are not alone in this process and we want to ensure you get the best information to assist your veteran in the fastest way possible.

So, please call our main office at (207) 430-6035 or email us at to discuss your specific issue with us. And THANK YOU for doing what you can to help a veteran!

If you have a question you'd like to see answered here, please submit it below.

Required fields are indicated by an asterisk (*).