Thank you very much for your interest in a Proclamation from the Office of Governor Janet Mills. Unfortunately, due to increased call and message volume during the COVID-19 emergency, as well as the closure of the State Capitol complex, Governor Mills has temporarily suspended the processing of Official Proclamations. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding during this emergency.
Proclamations are issued by the Governor to recognize and celebrate the extraordinary achievements of state citizens and non-profit organizations, to honor occasions of importance and significance to the citizens of the state, and to increase public awareness of issues with the hope of improving the well-being of Maine citizens.
Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and are issued at the Governor's discretion. Issuance is not automatic and the Governor's Office reserves the right to edit all draft language. These documents are strictly ceremonial, not legally binding and should not be interpreted as a political or policy endorsement of any kind.
Requesting a Proclamation
Constituency groups and individuals are encouraged to submit proclamation requests to the Office of the Governor. The Governor's Office reserves the right to modify or deny any proclamation request.
As all of Maine citizens are called upon to recognize and observe each proclamation, all proclamations should be Maine-centric and broad in application. Requests to honor specific organizations, groups, individuals and/or events will not be honored.
Proclamations may not be used as part of an advertisement or commercial promotion. The use of a proclamation in any publication or form of media, including news releases and websites, is strictly forbidden without the written approval of the Governor's Office.
Requirements and Guidelines
All requests must:
- Be made 45 days in advance
- Be made by a Maine citizen or a Maine-based organization
- Not take sides in matters of political controversy
- Affect a broad group of citizens
All requests should include:
- The name and date(s) of the day, week, or month to be proclaimed
- Proposed verbiage, including 4-5 WHEREAS clauses
- Sponsor's full name and contact information (mailing, email, telephone)
- A brief summary and/or background regarding the individual, group or organization making the request
- An indication of whether the completed document should be mailed or picked up
- A requested date for when the document is needed