State of Maine Building at Eastern States Expo
Mark your calendar for September 13 - 29, 2019!
The Fair begins the second Friday after Labor Day.
2020 Dates: Sept. 18 - Oct. 4, 2020
2021 Dates: Sept. 17 - Oct. 3. 2021
The State of Maine Building is an exhibition and trades display venue showcasing the best of Maine to more than 850,000 visitors annually who attend "The Big E." The building is located on the grounds of Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Massachusetts on the Expo’s Avenue of New England States.
The Agricultural Resource and Development Division of DACF operates and maintains the building for the purpose of ‘exhibiting, publicizing and advertising Maine's products and resources in agriculture, industry, fisheries, forests, wildlife and recreation.’ The State of Maine has participated in this exciting display of New England traditions since 1925.
2019 Maine Day is September 14th
Maine Day at the Big E showcases the best of Maine to fair visitors! The day features Maine performers, artists, entertainers, youth leaders, and others with a passion for Maine. Get the Maine Day Schedule (PDF)
2019 Maine Building Vendors
|2019 "Big E" Vendors||Products|
|Alan Claude Inc.||Fine graphic designs prints, calendars and cards depicting Maine and New England|
|Balfour Farm||Certified organic, farmstead cow’s milk cheeses|
|Batch by Scratch||Maine made ice cream and Historic Pittston Farm|
|Brant and Cochran||American made, forged and crafted axes|
|Coffee and Donuts||Cider donuts and Coffee By Design for you!|
|Fire and Company Wood Fired Pizza||Wood fired pizza by the slice and whole with simple ingredients|
|Hancock Gourmet Lobster Co. ES||Classic lobster rolls for a taste of the Maine coast|
|Hilltop Spoonworks||Quality artisan home goods crafted from Maine wood|
|Ledgeway Farm Soap||Goats milk bar soap varieties and specialty bath products crafted on a Maine farm|
|Maine Aquaculture Association||Smoked salmon on a stick, and Baxter Beer|
|Coastal Maine Popcorn||Eye-popping flavors of popcorn for snacks and gifts from the coast of Maine|
|Maine Office of Tourism||Visitor information, and resources about the Maine|
|Maine Potato Board||The original, Maine baked potatoes with all the toppings|
|Noble BBQ'S French Fries & Fried Chicken||Maine potato fries and fried chicken|
|Old Bottle Sea Glass of Maine||Artifact art featuring upcycled, unique glass products for the home or gifts|
|The Buoy Guy||Personalize buoy decorations and Maine products|
|The Maine Beer and Wine Booth||Award winning wines and beers featuring Maine wineries and breweries|
|Todd's Salsa||Award winning salsas in a variety of flavors|
|Ultimate Maine Hotdog||W.A. Bean hotdogs, Morse's sauerkraut and Raye's mustard for a memorable meal!|
|Wicked Maine Pops||Naturally, freshly made, fine gourmet and organic popsicles|
|Wicked Whoopies||Many sizes and varieties of Maine's iconic treat, the whoopie pie|
|Wild Blueberry Commission of Maine||Pies, crisps and great wild Maine blueberry products|
|Winter Whimsies||Personalized ornaments|
- 11/27/18 - 2019 Application to Vend at the Maine Building Available Now
- 9/27/18 - Maine Day at The Big E Kicks off Record Attendance Week
Interested in being a part of this great event? Exhibit with us!
The Agricultural Resources team within the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry manages the State of Maine Building venue. We offer Maine businesses and organizations an opportunity to rent commercial space in the State of Maine Building. An application must be submitted for consideration by any interested vendor.
- 2019 Vendor Guidelines and Application (PDF) - Download application, rules and guidelines
We aim to maintain a balance of educational and commercial exhibits in the building with an atmosphere that continues to exemplify Maine and its unique way of life. Only items which are produced, grown, crafted, manufactured or significantly altered in Maine may be sold in the Maine building.
The State of Maine Building is one of seven distinct buildings on the Avenue of States—including six for each New England state, and one for the Grange—located on the Eastern States Exposition (ESE) grounds.
This is a popular event; concessionaires, vendors and fair-goers rely on local accommodations during the multi-day fair. There are many lodging options in Western Mass. Vendors are encouraged to select and reserve their accommodations early. If you are awarded space in the Maine Building as a vendor, please email Maine Building Management to request the link for the room block. Rooms are available first come, first served. Payment is responsibility of vendor.
- Internet at the Big E! - Place your order online.
- Telephone at The Big E (PDF) - Place your order for a phone/DSL line.
- The Big E Services & Amenities - ESE offers amenities and service for all vendors, including banking, phone lines, and package receipt and delivery services during the fair.
- Grounds Map (PDF)
- Directions - Note: Beginning 2019, Agawam Memorial Bridge will be two-lane traffic. Vehicles will not be able turn left exiting Gate 1.
- General Info - 2019 Ticketing, shuttles service, and schedule.
For All Building Vendors
- Exhibitor Checklists (PDF) - Reminders and tips to pack for the Exhibition. Includes space to add your own needs.
- Exhibitor FAQs (PDF) - A summary of FAQs from Exhibitor meetings and correspondence. Email additional inquiries to Building Management.
- Temporary Storage Request Form - Deadline is June 1. The Big E! allocates space to Avenue of States Exhibitors. Exhibitors must request space by the deadline to reserve space.
- Fire Preventation Regulations - Required by W. Springfield Fire Department. Email Deputy Fire Chief with questions.
- Accommodations: This is a popular event; concessionaires, vendors and fair-goers rely on local accommodations during the multi-day fair. Vendors are encouraged to select and reserve their accommodations early. If you are awarded space in the Maine Building as a vendor, please email Maine Building Management to request the link for the room block. Rooms are available first come, first served. Payment is responsibility of vendor.
- Photo ID Schedule and Other Important Dates for Vendors (Calendar Widget)
For Food Vendors
- Temporary Food Application (PDF) - Town of W. Springfield must receive application from all food vendors who sell or sample food during the Big E!. Complete application and payment are due annually, 30 days prior to exhibiting. You may email Jeanne Galloway Town of W. Springfield Health Dept. with questions.
- Food Allergen Awareness Training and Regulation Certification -All food vendors at The Big E! must comply with Massachusetts regulation, 105 CMR 590.011(C)(3)(a). At least one person must complete the training, and obtain an allergen awareness certificate from a Massachusetts Department of Public Health-approved vendor. Certification must be displayed during sales and exhibition, and is required to pass inspection to obtain a temporary food permit with the town of W. Springfield.
- Propane Cylinder Requirements (PDF) - Permit application required by W. Springfield Fire Department
- Health Department Requirements (PDF) - Additional information from the Town of W. Springfield for Eastern States Exhibition food vendors and their staff.
- National Fire Protection Association Food Truck Safety Fact Sheet (PDF) – Fact sheet from W. Springfield Fire Dept
- W. Springfield Fire Department Food Service Fire Safety Inspection (PDF) – Template of sample inspection standards evaluated by W. Springfield Fire Dept
|January||Applications due, committee reviews and award recommendation is made|
|February-March||Contract notices sent to exhibit space award recipients|
|TBD-Spring/Summer||Exhibitor meeting. Eastern States Exposition Staff provide updates|
|November||Application available online for upcoming year|
Please call (207) 287-7620 or e-mail Anne.Trenholm@maine.gov to receive more information!