State of Maine Building at Eastern States Expo
Visit us at the Maine Building from September 16 to October 2, 2022.
Maine Day at the Big E is Saturday, September 17, 2022.
The Big E is an annual event that begins on the second Friday after Labor Day and runs for 17 days each September.
On this page:
- For Fairgoers
- For Maine Building Participants
The State of Maine Building is an exhibition venue showcasing the best of Maine to more than 850,000 visitors annually who attend "The Big E." The building is located on the grounds of Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Massachusetts on the Expo’s Avenue of New England States.
The Agricultural Resource and Development Division of the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (DACF) operates and maintains the building for the purpose of "exhibiting, publicizing and advertising Maine's products and resources in agriculture, industry, fisheries, forests, wildlife and recreation." The State of Maine has participated in this exciting display of New England traditions since 1925.
Find contact information, product offerings, and learn more about who you can see in the building this year.
- Tentative Schedule, Maine Day Activities (PDF) - Read about Maine Day, the first Saturday of the fair – 9/17/22
Read the Fair's letter regarding the fair's parade selection (PDF). State Buildings are not parade contacts. Parade selection is at the sole discretion of The Big Parade Officials. For more info, email email@example.com.
Interested in being a part of this great event? Exhibit with us!
Please subscribe to our newsletter and bookmark this page to receive updates.
Considering applying? Please refer to the following list:
- Video- A day at the Maine Building
- Demographics and visitor stats (PDF)
- Past Big E fair gate attendance
- Peruse Exhibitor Resources to understand expectations and preparation needs
- Applicant FAQs and selection priorities (PDF)
- Video- 2022 Application, Applicant Q & A
About the Venue
DACF owns the Maine Building which is managed by the Agricultural Resources team.
- Only items which are produced, grown, crafted, manufactured or significantly altered in Maine may be sold in the Maine building.
- Any interested Exhibitor (including businesses, collectives, co-ops, and associations) must submit a completed application for consideration.
- If awarded space, applicants join a team of exhibitors working to showcase products, brands and services, and the best of Maine to building visitors and shoppers from across New England, parts of New York and elsewhere.
- Maine businesses and organizations have an opportunity to rent space to sell products, or market brands and services in the State of Maine Building during the Big E!. The Maine Building attracts thousands of daily visitors during the 17-day event.
Other exhibition opportunities during the fair:
- We are excited to provide opportunities to showcase the best of Maine to Big E fairgoers.
- Letter to Applicants Announcing 2022 Awardees (PDF)
Exhibitor Resources is library of documents (required forms, checklists, FAQs, etc) for exhibitors. Click the plus sign next to the section to expand the full list.
Key dates, meetings, load in/out info
- Exhibitor Planning Timelines (PDF) / Spreadsheet (XLS) – Download to print or edit.
- 2022 List of Anticipated Meetings and Orientation Dates (PDF) - Save for reference. Exhibitors receive invitation(s) separately.
Maps and getting to the fair
- Grounds Map (PDF) - For Maine Building Exhibitor reference
- Directions - Note: traffic patterns may change due to the fair. Follow local, real time instructions.
- General Info - Ticketing, activity schedules and fair FAQs.
- Employee Satellite Parking Maps (PDF) – Shuttle runs daily, 6AM to midnight, between satellite lots and Big E transportation center. Employees must display current year ID badge to board shuttle.
FAQs, booth design, packing
- Exhibitor FAQs - A summary of FAQs. Email additional inquiries to Building Management.
- Booth Design Ideas (PDF) - Ideas to help design your Exhibit booth
- Exhibitor Packing Guide (PDF) / Spreadsheet (XLS) - Reminders and tips with space to add your own needs.
- Big E – Photo ID Badge Schdule (PDF) – For those who receive a voucher from Building Management to obtain a photo badge, which grants admission as an Exhibitor or staff.
- Download Big E logo (EPS) – If you have any questions, or need more information regarding the use of the logo within your Exhibit or products, contact fair staff: MCoburn@TheBigE.com or call (413)205-5043
Exhibitor agreement and online profile
- 2022 Maine Building Agreement Terms & Conditions (PDF) – Exhibitors must agree to the terms if awarded space. Download the PDF version to save a personal copy.
- How to Sign Agreement and Update Profile (PDF)
- Temporary Storage and Delivery Request Form (PDF) - Print and complete. Due August 1. Use form to request temporary storage space on grounds, and/or request delivery driver access. Submit to: ESE C/O Derryl (Storage/Delivery Request) 1305 Memorial Ave. West Springfield, MA 01089
- Internet at the Big E! - Place your order online.
- Telephone at The Big E (PDF) - Place your phone/DSL line order
- Accommodations: This is a popular event; select and reserve early. Accommodation payment is the Exhibitor's responsibility.
- There are many lodging options in Western Mass.
- Military retirees or Active Guard and Reserve members can get inexpensive lodging at The Flyers Inn on Westover Air Reserve Base in nearby Chicopee. The telephone number is (413) 593-5421.
- On-site camping is limited; and not available to Exhibitors.
- If you are awarded space in the Maine Building, email Maine Building Management to request room block info. Rooms are available first-come, first-served.
- Temporary Food Permit Application (Online Portal) – Required temporary Food Permit Application to sell or sample food – Due 30 days before fair. Must submit and pay according to the fee schedule.
- Email application and questions to Jeanne Galloway Town of W. Springfield Health Dept.
- Health Department Requirements (PDF) - All food vendors must comply with requirements. Town of W. Springfield Health Dept. document summarizes key points to comply with Massachusetts regulation, 105 CMR 590.011(C)(3)(a) and the 2013 food code while vending at the fair.
- Food Allergen Awareness Training and Regulation Certification - At least one staff must complete the training, and obtain certificate from a Mass. Dept. of Public Health-approved vendor.
- ServSafe Certification - At least one person must complete the manager training and exam for certificate.
- Propane Cylinder Requirements (PDF) - Permit application required by W. Springfield Fire Department
- W. Springfield Fire Department Food Service Fire Safety Inspection (PDF) – Template of sample inspection standards evaluated by W. Springfield Fire Dept
- Food Trucks Safety Documents - Provided by W. Springfield Fire Department:
- Alcoholic Beverage Temporary License Info – Provided by the W. Springfield License Commission
- Before applying: Exhibitors must have been awarded space by Building Management. Further, there is a fee/day rate for a pouring license. Each applicant completes their own application, supporting application materials. (By 6/1)
- Application Materials: State Building Temporary Wine and Malt Application (PDF) – plus include Bar Code/TIPS certification (or equivalent) for each person serving alcohol, and insurance certificate showing general liability, liquor liability, and workers compensation. Email the completed application and materials to the licensing clerk and cc Building Management before 6/1.
Required by W. Springfield Fire Department
|January - March||
|April - June||
Please email Maine Building Management to receive more information!