State of Maine Building at Eastern States Expo
The Big E is an annual event that begins on the second Friday after Labor Day and runs for 17 days each September.
Farm, Food, and Promotion Update
Join us supporting Maine agriculture year-round! Find farms, agricultural products, and opportunities to support Maine agriculture at RealMaine.com.
Please note that planning progress varies for 2021 agricultural events due to the ongoing public health efforts regarding COVID-19. Currently, we are assessing impacts, resources, and contingencies. For more information, visit the DACF’s COVID-19 resources web page.
Interested exhibitors: Please subscribe to our newsletter and bookmark this page. As of 2/10/21, there are no immediate plans to open applications. We will share official decisions via our newsletter and post updates to this page. We anticipate providing more updates by May 1, 2021.
2021 Dates: Sept. 17 - Oct. 3. 2021
2022 Dates: Sept. 16 - Oct. 2. 2022
The State of Maine Building is an exhibition and trades display venue showcasing the best of Maine to more than 850,000 visitors annually who attend "The Big E." The building is located on the grounds of Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Massachusetts on the Expo’s Avenue of New England States.
The Agricultural Resource and Development Division of DACF operates and maintains the building for the purpose of ‘exhibiting, publicizing and advertising Maine's products and resources in agriculture, industry, fisheries, forests, wildlife and recreation.’ The State of Maine has participated in this exciting display of New England traditions since 1925.
Maine Day at the Big E showcases the best of Maine to fair visitors! The day features Maine performers, artists, entertainers, youth leaders, and others with a passion for Maine.
Interested in applying to provide entertainment for Maine Day? Subscribe for email updates.
- 3/2/2020 - Applications Open to Represent Maine and Celebrate Our Bicentennial at Maine Day at the Big E!!
- 1/29/2020 - Apply Now for Maine Building Exhibit Space!
Interested in being a part of this great event? Exhibit with us!
The Agricultural Resources team within the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry manages the State of Maine Building venue. We offer Maine businesses and organizations an opportunity to rent commercial space in the State of Maine Building. An application must be submitted for consideration by any interested vendor.
We aim to maintain a balance of educational and commercial exhibits in the building with an atmosphere that continues to exemplify Maine and its unique way of life. Only items which are produced, grown, crafted, manufactured or significantly altered in Maine may be sold in the Maine building.
Other exhibition opportunities during the fair:
The State of Maine Building is one of seven distinct buildings on the Avenue of States—including six for each New England state, and one for the Grange—located on the Eastern States Exposition (ESE) grounds.
This is a popular event; concessionaires, vendors and fair-goers rely on local accommodations during the multi-day fair. There are many lodging options in Western Mass. Military retirees or Active Guard and Reserve members can get inexpensive lodging at The Flyers Inn on Westover Air Reserve Base in nearby Chicopee. The telephone number is (413) 593-5421. Vendors are encouraged to select and reserve their accommodations early. If you are awarded space in the Maine Building as a vendor, please email Maine Building Management request the link for the room block. Rooms are available first come, first served. Payment is responsibility of vendor.
Directions - Note: there is significant construction in the area. Fair-goers and exhibitors are encouraged to carpool, and use available ride-sharing services when possible.
- Internet at the Big E! - Place your order online.
- Telephone at The Big E (PDF) - Place your order for a phone/DSL line.
- The Big E Services & Amenities - ESE offers amenities and service for all vendors, including banking, phone lines, and package receipt and delivery services during the fair.
- Grounds Map (PDF)
- Directions - Note: Beginning 2019, Agawam Memorial Bridge will be two-lane traffic. Vehicles will not be able turn left exiting Gate 1.
- General Info - 2019 Ticketing, shuttles service, and schedule.
For All Building Vendors
- Exhibitor Checklists (PDF) - Reminders and tips to pack for the Exhibition. Includes space to add your own needs.
- Exhibitor FAQs (PDF) - A summary of FAQs from Exhibitor meetings and correspondence. Email additional inquiries to Building Management.
- Temporary Storage Request Form - Deadline is June 1. The Big E! allocates space to Avenue of States Exhibitors. Exhibitors must request space by the deadline to reserve space.
- Fire Preventation Regulations - Required by W. Springfield Fire Department. Email Deputy Fire Chief with questions.
- Accommodations: This is a popular event; concessionaires, vendors and fair-goers rely on local accommodations during the multi-day fair. Vendors are encouraged to select and reserve their accommodations early. If you are awarded space in the Maine Building as a vendor, please email Maine Building Management to request the link for the room block. Rooms are available first come, first served. Payment is responsibility of vendor.
- Photo ID Schedule and Other Important Dates for Vendors (Calendar Widget)
For Food Vendors
- Temporary Food Application (PDF) - Town of W. Springfield must receive application from all food vendors who sell or sample food during the Big E!. Complete application and payment are due annually, 30 days prior to exhibiting. You may email Jeanne Galloway Town of W. Springfield Health Dept. with questions.
- Food Allergen Awareness Training and Regulation Certification -All food vendors at The Big E! must comply with Massachusetts regulation, 105 CMR 590.011(C)(3)(a). At least one person must complete the training, and obtain an allergen awareness certificate from a Massachusetts Department of Public Health-approved vendor. Certification must be displayed during sales and exhibition, and is required to pass inspection to obtain a temporary food permit with the town of W. Springfield.
- Propane Cylinder Requirements (PDF) - Permit application required by W. Springfield Fire Department
- Health Department Requirements (PDF) - Additional information from the Town of W. Springfield for Eastern States Exhibition food vendors and their staff.
- National Fire Protection Association Food Truck Safety Fact Sheet (PDF) – Fact sheet from W. Springfield Fire Dept
- W. Springfield Fire Department Food Service Fire Safety Inspection (PDF) – Template of sample inspection standards evaluated by W. Springfield Fire Dept
|January - March||
|April - June||
Exhibitor meeting. Eastern States Exposition Staff provide updates
|November||Application available online for upcoming year|
Please call (207) 287-7620 or e-mail Anne.Trenholm@maine.gov to receive more information!