State of Maine Building at Eastern States Expo
The Big E is an annual event that begins on the second Friday after Labor Day and runs for 17 days each September.
Future Anticipated Dates:
2022 Dates: Sept. 16 - Oct. 2. 2022
2023 Dates: Sept. 15 - Oct. 1 2023
2024 Dates: Sept. 13 - Sept. 29 2024
On this page:
- For Fairgoers
- For Maine Building Participants
The State of Maine Building is an exhibition venue showcasing the best of Maine to more than 850,000 visitors annually who attend "The Big E." The building is located on the grounds of Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Massachusetts on the Expo’s Avenue of New England States.
The Agricultural Resource and Development Division of DACF operates and maintains the building for the purpose of ‘exhibiting, publicizing and advertising Maine's products and resources in agriculture, industry, fisheries, forests, wildlife and recreation.’ The State of Maine has participated in this exciting display of New England traditions since 1925.
Interested in being a part of this great event? Exhibit with us!
Applications will open soon. Please subscribe to our newsletter and bookmark this page to receive updates.
Considering applying? Read and watch the following list:
- Applicant FAQs and selection priorities - Coming Soon
- Video- A day at the Maine Building
- Demographics and visitor stats (PDF)
- Past Big E fair gate attendance
- Peruse Exhibitor Resources to understand expectations and preparation needs
About the Venue
The Agricultural Resources team within the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (MDACF) manages the State of Maine Building venue. The Building is owned by MDACF.
- Only items which are produced, grown, crafted, manufactured or significantly altered in Maine may be sold in the Maine building.
- Any interested Exhibitor (including businesses, collectives, co-ops, and associations) must submit a completed application for consideration.
- If awarded space, applicants join a team of exhibitors working to showcase products, brands and services, and the best of Maine to building visitors and shoppers from across New England, parts of New York and elsewhere.
- Maine businesses and organizations have an opportunity to rent space to sell products, or market brands and services in the State of Maine Building during the Big E!. The Maine Building attracts thousands of daily visitors during the 17-day event.
Other exhibition opportunities during the fair:
Exhibitor Resources is library of documents (required forms, checklists, FAQs, etc) for exhibitors. Click the plus sign next to the section to expand the full list.
- Exhibitor Planning Timelines (PDF) / Spreadsheet (XLS) – Download to print or edit.
- Exhibitor Packing Guide (PDF) - Reminders and tips with space to add your own needs.
- Exhibitor FAQs (PDF) - A summary of FAQs. Email additional inquiries to Building Management.
- Grounds Map (PDF)
- Directions - Note: traffic patterns may change due to the fair. Follow local, real time instructions.
- General Info - Ticketing, shuttles service, and activity schedules.
- Temporary Storage and Delivery Request Form (PDF) - Print and complete. Due August 1. Use form to request temporary storage space on grounds, and/or request delivery driver access. Submit to: ESE C/O Derryl (Storage/Delivery Request) 1305 Memorial Ave. West Springfield, MA 01089
- Internet at the Big E! - Place your order online.
- Telephone at The Big E (PDF) - Place your phone/DSL line order
- Accommodations: This is a popular event; select and reserve early. Accommodation payment is the Exhibitor's responsibility.
- There are many lodging options in Western Mass.
- Military retirees or Active Guard and Reserve members can get inexpensive lodging at The Flyers Inn on Westover Air Reserve Base in nearby Chicopee. The telephone number is (413) 593-5421.
- On-site camping is limited; and not available to Exhibitors.
- If you are awarded space in the Maine Building, email Maine Building Management to request room block info. Rooms are available first-come, first-served.
- Temporary Food Permit Application (Online Portal) – Required temporary Food Permit Application to sell or sample food – Due 30 days before fair. Must submit and pay according to the fee schedule.
- Email application and questions to Jeanne Galloway Town of W. Springfield Health Dept.
- Health Department Requirements (PDF) - All food vendors must comply with requirements. Town of W. Springfield Health Dept. document summarizes key points to comply with Massachusetts regulation, 105 CMR 590.011(C)(3)(a) and the 2013 food code while vending at the fair.
- Food Allergen Awareness Training and Regulation Certification - At least one staff must complete the training, and obtain certificate from a Mass. Dept. of Public Health-approved vendor.
- ServSafe Certification - At least one person must complete the manager training and exam for certificate.
- Propane Cylinder Requirements (PDF) - Permit application required by W. Springfield Fire Department
- National Fire Protection Association Food Truck Safety Fact Sheet (PDF) – Fact sheet from W. Springfield Fire Dept
- W. Springfield Fire Department Food Service Fire Safety Inspection (PDF) – Template of sample inspection standards evaluated by W. Springfield Fire Dept
Required by W. Springfield Fire Department
|January - March||
|April - June||
|November||Application available online for upcoming year|
Please email Maine Building Management to receive more information!