Nonpoint Source Water Pollution Control Grants ("319")
DEP administers Non-Point Source (NPS) grants to help communities make progress restoring NPS-impaired waters or protecting waters threatened by NPS pollution. NPS grants are available to:
- Implement a watershed-based plan.
A plan previously accepted by the DEP is a prerequisite to be eligible to submit a proposal for an implementation grant. Since 2005 DEP has accepted 38 plans; or
- Develop a watershed-based plan.
A plan provides assessment and management information and describes actions needed to restore NPS-impaired water bodies or protect water bodies threatened by NPS pollution.
Grants for projects are funded with monies provided to DEP by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency under Section 319(h) or Section 604(b) of the Clean Water Act.
Annual Request for Proposals
Annually, in June, DEP issues a request for proposals (RFP) for NPS Water Pollution Control Projects.
NPS Management Program Annual Reports
Annual reports summarize activities and accomplishments of DEP's NPS program. It includes brief (2 page) summaries of completed NPS water pollution control projects.
Files are in PDF format unless otherwise noted. Free Adobe Acrobat Reader
- 319 NPS Management Program Quality Assurance Program Plan
- Maine Lake and Stream Watershed Survey Generic Quality Assurance Project Plan
- Construction of BMPs at Road-related Sites, Guidance for NPS Projects
- Outreach Guidance for NPS Watershed Implementation Projects
- Stream Survey Guidance for NPS Projects
- Lake Watershed-based Protection Plans Guidance
- DEP accepted 9 element watershed based plan examples
- NPS Grant Administrative Guidelines Contains key procedures and forms needed by Grantees for defining responsibilities, reporting work done, estimating pollutant reductions, requesting payment, etc. Frequently used forms:
- Invoice (reimbursement) (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- NPS Site Report (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- Pollutants Controlled Report (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- MBE/WBE Utilization Report (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- Progress Report - NPS grant (msword fill-in format); pdf format
- NPS Site Tracker Tool
FMI: Norm Marcotte, NPS Coordinator