Sustainability Resources and Publications
- Implementing Product Stewardship in Maine - Maine DEP 2013 report to the Legislature on Maine’s product stewardship programs.
- Municipal Recycling Programs in Maine (2012) - Find contact information for your local recycling program as well as information on other processing and disposal facilities.
- Waste Generation and Disposal Capacity Report For Calendar Year 2011 (revised March 2013). Maine DEP report to the Legislature.
- Solid Waste Generation and Disposal Capacity Report For Calendar Year 2009 (published January 2011).
- Waste Management and Recycling Plan (2009) – Maine’s five year solid waste management plan.
- Recycling Economic Information Study Update (2009) - This study, prepared by the Northeast Recycling Council, includes Maine-specific updates to a 1999 study on recycling costs and benefits for selected programs throughout the U.S.
- Recycling in Maine Municipalities: What Makes it Tick? This report explores both demographic factors and various municipal recycling policies, to first identify what successful recycling programs tend to have in common, and then provides general recommendations for methods of increasing recycling rates in Maine towns. This report was completed in 2008 by the program's summer intern. (PDF 225KB)
All of the data reports below are based solely on information provided by municipalities on their "Annual Municipal Solid Waste Management Report".
- Recycling and Disposal Trends (PDF 328KB)
- Municipal Curbside Trash Collection - 2010 (PDF 10KB)
- Disposal Sites - 2010 (PDF 41KB)
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection - 2010 (PDF 23KB)
- Towns With Waste Bans - 2010 (PDF 16KB)
- Mandatory Recycling - 2010 (PDF 13 KB)
- Municipal Expenses - 2010 (PDF 26KB)
- Residential Recycling in Maine - 2010 (PDF 49KB)
- Reuse Tons in Maine - 2010 (PDF 14KB)
- Pay As You Throw - 2010 (PDF 13KB)
- Town Ordinance - 2010 (PDF 11KB)
- Single Stream Municipalities - 2010 (10KB)
Fact Sheets, & Other Publications
- Surveying Your Residents (including sample survey) (PDF 14KB)
- Waste Reduction Tips for Consumers (PDF 26KB)
Sustainability Resources for Maine (off site)
Greater Portland Council of Governments Sustainability Initiative – Sustainability planning and resources, including energy reduction resources, for local communities.
Maine Businesses for Sustainability provides Maine businesses with tools and opportunities for improved performance and profits while enhancing the social and environmental well-being of Maine through better business practices, community engagement, and environmental awareness.
The Maine Compost School provides training to people interested and/or involved with medium and large-scale composting operations. This course is offered as a certificate program and will train personnel to be qualified compost site operators.
Maine’s Sustainability Solutions Initiative - This research partnership between Maine’s institutions of higher education is focused on linking knowledge to action to meet human needs while preserving Maine’s resources. SSI aims to “help Maine increase economic activity and technological innovation in ways that sustain the State’s remarkable ‘quality of place’”.
Sustainable Portland – This brochure summarizes the City of Portland’s initiatives to become a sustainable community.
Sustain Southern Maine – This regional partnership of organizations, businesses and 42 communities in York and Cumberland Counties work to strengthen the economy, environment and sense of community in southern Maine.
University of Maine Waste Characterization Study - A project undertaken by the School of Economics to characterize Maine's residential waste stream resulting in the report: "2011 Maine Residential Waste Characterization Study."