Tips for Communities
Becoming a Firewise Community
Steps to achieve Firewise status
- Work with the Maine Forest Service to complete a Community Wildfire Protection Plan
- Form a Firewise board
- Create a 2 - 3 year Firewise plan
- Hold a “Firewise Day” each year
- Invest $2 per capita in annual Firewise projects -
(which can easily be obtained by completing a “brush chipping day” and a “Firewise Day”)
Advantages communities in Maine’s Firewise program have discovered
- Encouraged a positive change in local tree cutting ordinance
- Positive public relations for MFS and Fire Dept.
- Increased community awareness of - “Firewise” principles (pdf)
- A significant reduction in the amount of forest fuels near homes - defensible space video.
- Familiarity with evacuation procedures - (in the event of a wildfire).
For more information contact:
207-287-4990 or at firstname.lastname@example.org