Project Canopy Communities
In concert with community partners, Maine has a very active program to maintain and enhance urban and community forests. These efforts include:
- Encouraging proactive efforts at municipal level to maintain healthy urban and community forests.
- Providing information, technical and financial assistance to municipalities.
- Encouraging municipalities and others to reduce the impacts of land use change, fragmentation and urbanization of forest landscapes.
- Encouraging municipalities and others to manage and restore trees and forests to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
- Building and enhancing partnerships that increase the effectiveness of state urban forestry programming, and improve Maine’s urban and community forests.