& Recycling Program
Waste Management & Recycling Program
- Reduce.org Detailed information on reducing your waste at home and at work.
- Do Not Mail Send letters to reduce your junk mail and join a campaign to create a junk mail registry
- EPA's Waste Wise Program An EPA site to educate citizens on waste management and reduction in the US (includes a section on recycling).
- PC's for Maine and Goodwill, Donate computers for free and provide computer access to those in need. For municipal drop off information check with the DEP
- Maine Housing & Building Materials Exchange benefits low-income families and the environment.
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore sells new and lightly used building materials, fixtures, furniture, appliances, tools, and other surplus items donated by individuals, contractors, and businesses to help fund the construction of Habitat homes.
- Everyone's Resource Depot Located in Farmington, companies donate unwanted goods so they are available for reuse by the public.
- Ruth's Reusable Resources Helps provide reusable supplies from companies to teachers and students.
- SHARECenter Auburn and Topsham area teacher resource centers reusing supplies from industry and businesses for schools.
- Maine State Surplus Property Surplus materials from state departments made available to state, public, and non-profit organizations.
Recycled/Environmentally Preferable Products
Back to top
- Find a Composter BioCycle has launched a publicly searchable database of composting facilities in the US and Canada. The intent is to make it easy to find composting facilities to divert organic waste streams as well as buy compost.
- EPA’s Organic Materials Website An overview of anything organic, from composting food scraps to dealing with grass cuttings.
- How Compost Happens (from UMCE) Answers to frequently asked composting questions.
- Worm Digest A nationwide online magazine devoted to earthworms and worm composting.
- Composting Videos - State of Connecticut, DEP
Back to top
- Earth 911 Covers many aspects of ‘green living’, including a section on recycling.
- EPA WasteWise An EPA site to educate citizens on waste management and reduction in the US (includes a section on recycling).
- Stopwaste.org Information for residents, schools, businesses, and local governments on reducing, reusing, and recycling to stop waste.
Universal and Hazardous Waste
- EPEAT Helps public and private purchasers evaluate computers based on their environmental attributes as well as provide an opportunity for manufacturers to secure market recognition for their environmental efforts.
- PC's for Maine Donate computers for free and provide computer access to those in need.
- List of Electronics Recyclers and Contact Information A list of electronic recyclers for businesses, schools, municipalities, and individuals to use when looking for an outlet for their unwanted electronics. for more info: DEP's e-waste website
- NERC Electronics Facts and resources on electronics recycling.
- RBRC: Call 2 Recycle An organization helping Americans to recycle rechargeable batteries, commonly found in cell phones, drills, cameras and more.
Back to top
Green Building Design and Energy Efficiency
- Guide to a Green Home Practicing simple energy-efficient strategies in nearly every room and area of the home, such as the kitchen, family room, office, bedroom, bathroom, laundry, basement and yard will result in drastic energy savings for families and the environment.
- Maine Chapter of the US Green Building Chapter An organization to educate and promote green building design and construction.
- Efficiency Maine Promotes, educates Maine citizens and business to be energy efficient and to help the environment.
- Greenspec Lists environmentally friendly building products and information on LEED environmental design standards.
- Green Campus Consortium of Maine The GCC’s mission is to develop an effective, Maine-wide network of colleges, universities and partners that will stimulate the continual improvement of environmental sustainability in our campus-based institutions through communication and education.
- Recycle Mania A nation wide competition among universities to see which school can collect the highest amount of recyclable materials, or have the greatest waste reduction etc. over a 10 week period. Several Maine colleges and universities already participate. Lots of great suggestions from winning schools on how to be successful recyclers.
- National Wildlife Federation (NWF) Campus Ecology A site to help universities reduce waste, recycle, and fight climate change.
Recycling Clip Art
- EPA publications on Safe Waste Management Information and publications on a wide range of waste topics including composting, battery recycling, jobs in recycling, climate change, hazardous waste and lots more.
Back to top