Home → Laws and Rules/Chapters
Laws and Rules/Chapters
Statutory Authority for the Board of Nursing is 32 MRSA Chapter 31. "The mission of the Board of Nursing is to protect the public health and welfare in the area of nursing practice."
Nurse Practice Act (Statutes passed by the Maine State Legislature)
Rules for State Board of Nursing (Ch.2, Sec. 380)Chapters available for downloading are highlighted. All chapters for this Department are formatted in Microsoft Word
WARNING: While we have taken care with the accuracy of the files accessible here, they are not "official" state rules in the sense that they can be used before a court. Anyone who needs a certified copy of a rule chapter should contact the APA Office. If you're trying to view these chapters and are having trouble, click here for some advice.
- Ch. 3 - General Requirements Relating to Licensure (PDF)
- Ch. 4 - Disciplinary Action and Violations of Law (PDF)
- Ch. 5 - Regulations Relating to Training Programs and Delegation by Registered Professional Nurses of Selected Nursing Tasks to Certified Nursing Assistants (PDF)
- Ch. 6 - Regulations Relating to Coordination and Oversight of Patient Care Services by Unlicensed Health Care Assistive Personnel (PDF)
- Ch. 7 - Standards for Educational Programs in Nursing (PDF)
- Ch. 8 - Regulations Relating to Advanced Practice Registered Nursing (PDF)
- Ch. 9 - Advisory Rulings (PDF)
- Ch. 10 - Administration of Intravenous Therapy by Licensed Nurses (PDF)
- Ch. 21 - Use of Controlled Substances For Treatment of Pain (PDF)