Once you have an educated and informed opinion, share it with others! Whether this is just talking about how you feel or taking larger action to make change in your community, it is important to make sure that your voice is HEARD!
- Engage in debates, dialogues and discussions.
- Sometimes hot topics can cause controversy. Here are some tools to help you have respectful and informed dialogues.
- Testify at a Public Hearing.
- Write, call and visit your elected officials.
- Find your elected officials and how to contact them (Maine).
- Learn how to lobby. (What exactly is lobbying? Simply put it is an attempt to influence someone else's opinion or activities. Lobbying in the governmental process is making information available to public officials who cannot be expected to know how every law or regulation will affect all of the people they represent.)
- Write to your newspapers when you have an opinion to share.
- Boycott, sign a petition, join a protest or a rally.
- Sign a petition if you agree with the ideas being expressed in it!
- Think about participating in a protest or rally if you want to join with others to support a cause and have your voices heard.
- Consider boycotting a product or organization if you don't agree with its methods, principles, or ethics.