Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > Student Information > Related Services Personnel Categories

Revised May 16, 2011

Related Services Personnel Categories

Does this EF-S-05 Part II Section B include all special education staff?
The data are not a comprehensive count of all types of personnel who provide services to children with disabilities.  Report only those related services personnel types specified below.  The Maine Department of Education , Office of Special Services has streamlined the data collection to include only those related services personnel that are required to be reported to the federal government. 

The following are types of related services personnel categories:
Adapted from P.L. 108-446, Sections 618(a)(1)(A)(i) and 618(a)(3), 34 C.F.R. Part 300.34(c)

  1. Audiologists - provide the following services to children with disabilities:
    • Identification of children with hearing loss;
    • Determination of the range, nature, and degree of hearing loss, including referral for medical or other professional attention for the habilitation of hearing;
    • Provision of habilitative activities, such as language habilitation, auditory training, speech reading (lip-reading), hearing evaluation, and speech conservation;
    • Creation and administration of programs for prevention of hearing loss;
    • Counseling and guidance of children, parents, and teachers regarding hearing loss; and
    • Determination of the children’s needs for group and individual amplification, selecting and fitting an appropriate aid, and evaluating the effectiveness of amplification.
  2. Speech-language pathologists - provide the following services to children with disabilities:
    • Identification of children with speech or language impairments;
    • Diagnosis and appraisal of specific speech or language impairments;
    • Referral for medical or other professional attention necessary for the habilitation of speech or language impairments;
    • Provision of speech and language services for the habilitation or prevention of communicative impairments; and
    • Counseling and guidance of parents, children, and teachers regarding speech and language impairments.
  3. Interpreters - provide services to children who are deaf or hard of hearing:
    • Oral transliteration services;
    • Cued language transliteration services; and
    • Sign language interpreting services. 
  4. Psychologists - provide the following services to children with disabilities:
    • Administering psychological and educational tests, and other assessment procedures;
    • Interpreting assessment results;
    • Obtaining, integrating, and interpreting information about child behavior and conditions relating to learning;
    • Consulting with other staff members in planning school programs to meet the special needs of children as indicated by psychological tests, interviews, and behavioral evaluations;
    • Planning and managing a program of psychological services, including psychological counseling for children and parents; and
    • Assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies.
  5. Occupational therapists  - provide the following services to children with disabilities:
    • Improving, developing or restoring functions impaired or lost through illness, injury, or deprivation;
    • Improving ability to perform tasks for independent functioning if functions are impaired or lost; and
    • Preventing, through early intervention, initial or further impairment or loss of function.
  6. Physical therapists - provide the following services to children with disabilities:
    • Screening, evaluation, and assessment of children ". . . to identify movement dysfunction;
    • Obtaining, interpreting, and integrating information appropriate to program planning to prevent, alleviate, or compensate for movement dysfunction and related functional problems; and
    • Providing individual and group services or treatment to prevent, alleviate, or compensate for movement dysfunction and related functional problems.
  7. Physical education teachers and recreation and therapeutic recreation specialists:
    • Provide special physical education, adaptive physical education, movement education, or motor development to children and youth with disabilities;
    • Assessment of leisure function;
    • Therapeutic recreation services;
    • Recreation programs in schools and community agencies; and
    • Leisure education.
  8. Social workers - provide the following services to children with disabilities:
    • Preparing a social or developmental history on a child with a disability;
    • Group and individual counseling with the child and family;
    • Working in partnership with parents and others on those problems in a child’s living situation (home, school, and community) that affect the child’s adjustment in school;
    • Mobilizing school and community resources to enable the child to learn as effectively as possible in his or her educational program; and
    • Assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies.
  9. Medical/Nursing service staff:
    • Medical services (adapted from 34 C.F.R. Part 300.34(5)) for diagnostic and evaluation purposes provided to determine whether a child has a disability and the nature and extent of the special education and related services that the child needs.
    • Nursing services designed to enable a child with a disability to receive FAPE as described in the child’s IEP, with the exception of services related to medical devices that are surgically implanted (e.g., cochlear implants)
  10. Counselors and rehabilitation counselors:
    • Guide individuals, families, groups, and communities by assisting them in problem solving, decision-making, discovering meaning, and articulating goals related to personal, educational and career development.
    • Provide services in individual or group sessions that focus specifically on career development, employment preparation, achieving independence, and integration in the workplace and community of a student with a disability. 
    • Vocational rehabilitation services provided to a student with disabilities by vocational rehabilitation programs funded under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.
  11. Orientation and mobility specialists:
    • Services provided to blind or visually impaired students to enable those students to attain systematic orientation to and safe movement within their environments in school, home, and community; and
    • Teaching students the following, as appropriate:
      • Spatial and environmental concepts and use of information received by the senses (such as sound, temperature and vibrations) to establish, maintain, or regain orientation and line of travel (e.g., using sound at a traffic light to cross the street);
      • To use the long cane to supplement visual travel skills or as a tool for safely negotiating the environment for students with no available travel vision;
      • To understand and use remaining vision and distance low vision aids; and
      • Other concepts, techniques, and tools.
  12. Educational Technicians I, II, III (Paraprofessionals) - Employees who provide instructional support, including those who:
    • provide one-on-one tutoring if such tutoring is scheduled at a time when a student would not otherwise receive instruction from a teacher
    • assist with classroom management, such as organizing instructional and other materials
    • provide instructional assistance in a computer laboratory
    • conduct parental involvement activities
    • provide support in a library or media center
    • act as a translator
    • provide instructional support services under the direct supervision of a teacher - definition adapted from P.L 108-446,  Section 612(14)(B), 34 C.F.R. Part 300.156(b)