ADMINISTRATIVE LETTER: 33
POLICY CODE: JF
TO: Superintendents of Schools (Please forward to Technology Directors, School Principals, and Central Office Data Personnel)
FROM: Susan A. Gendron, Commissioner
DATE: June 19, 2007
SUBJECT: MEDMS Year End Processes for Student Data (Deadline July 31, 2007) and Staff Data (Deadline June 29, 2007)
MEDMS will be on line for reporting 2006-07 student data until Tuesday, July 31, 2007. Updates of data required for year end reporting will need to be made by local schools and administrative units before this date. The calculation of 2006-07 graduation and dropout rates for your unit(s) by the Department will be based on student data from the MEDMS student information system. To ensure a successful and timely transmission of data and accurate dropout and graduation reporting, it is important that local superintendents take the following steps for student data:
- Exit high school seniors using the appropriate exit type codes including:
- Graduated with Regular High School Diploma (Code 15 / Completed – Graduated),
- Completed School with Other Credentials (Code 16 / Completed – Other Cred),
- Reached Maximum Age for Services (Code 20 / Maximum Age for Services),
- Transferred to GED Program (Code 23 / Transferred to GED program), and
- Transferred to Post-Secondary Education [prior to graduation] (Code 24 / Transferred to Postsecondary).
- For high school seniors who will be completing their graduation requirements during the summer and after July 31, 2007, please contact the MEDMS help desk at 624-6896 or email@example.com after they have completed graduation requirements but no later than September 30, 2007 in order to update their 2006-07 MEDMS records.
- Exit students who are known to be leaving their schools at the end of the 2006-07 school year. This is especially important for students in grade 7 through grade 12 in order to avoid issues related to the Completers and Dropouts Reports. Examples of appropriate exit type codes include:
- Transferred to Other Schools or Institutions. (There are multiple transferred options – please see complete list of these options and codes available at the link below.),
- Discontinued Schooling (Code 21 / Dropout),
- Moved Not Known to Be Continuing (Code 25 / Moved – Not Continuing) , and
- Matriculation to Another School (Code 14 / Matriculation to Another Sch). Please note that matriculation (not graduation) should be used for students who complete the highest level of instruction at their current school (e.g., elementary or middle school).
Eighth Grade – PLEASE DO NOT choose the exit type indicating that the student has graduated if they are completing eighth grade and moving on to high school.
A complete list and descriptions of exit type codes may be found on the MEDMS website at: http://www.maine.gov/education/medms/Data/ExitType/ExitTypeCodes.htm
School administrative unit staff who are not returning for the 2007-08 school year should be terminated in the MEDMS Staff Information System after the system goes back online for next school year in August. The MEDMS staff module will not be available for 2006-07 updates after June 29, 2007.
I appreciate your continued support for data collection through MEDMS. If you have questions, please contact:
Student Data questions -- Rick Bergeron – (207) 624-6799 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff Data questions – Ruth Sherman – (207) 624-6809 or email@example.com