Skip Maine state header navigation
INFORMATIONAL LETTER: 90
POLICY CODE: IIB
TO: Superintendents of Schools
Special Education Directors
FROM: Susan A. Gendron, Commissioner
DATE: March 15, 2004
RE: Special Education Distinguished Educator Positions
Attached is a listing of three positions that will be filled by the Learning Systems Team in the Department of Education, Special Education Program Review. The Department of Education will contract with school administrative units for three practitioners, knowledgeable in special education, to serve as Distinguished Educators for the school year 2004-2005. Units will be reimbursed for the employee’s salary plus benefits and fixed costs. The employee returns to the school unit at the end of the contract period.
Working with the Learning System Team’s staff, the work of Distinguished Educators will involve monitoring specific programs and providing technical assistance and training to local school personnel. If you have any questions regarding these positions, please contact Anna Feeney by e-mail: email@example.com or call: 624-6654.
In order to provide assistance to school administrative units, the Maine Department of Education, Learning Systems Team, Special Education Program Review, will contract with school units for three practitioners. Distinguished Educators are individuals on leave from a school administrative unit who will work for the Department of Education during the 2004-2005 school year. These are individuals who have been successful in enabling children to make outstanding progress toward meeting high educational standards. This professional service work involves program monitoring, technical assistance, and training. Individuals must be able to work as part of a self-directed work team. Extensive use of technology, travel and field assignments are required. STATEWIDE TRAVEL IS REQUIRED.
· Provide technical assistance to customers statewide in area of expertise,
· Provide program monitoring in a specific content area or area of specialized expertise, and
· Function as a cross-disciplinary team within the Department of Education.
Knowledge and Abilities Required:
· Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations related to specific programs within the Learning Systems Team;
· Knowledge of current learning research and exemplary educational practices;
· Knowledge of alternative assessment, developmental education, and experiential learning;
· Ability to use computers for word processing, data applications, and technology-based communications (i.e., Internet, Web, E-mail systems);
· Ability to facilitate groups and to use exemplary interpersonal skills; and
· Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to solve problems in a team environment.
The three Distinguished Educators will have primary responsibility in the area of Special Education Program Review and technical assistance, as well as other related special education responsibilities as determined by the Learning Systems Team. These positions will serve as the technical experts to schools, state agencies, private facilities, and community members in the areas involving special education issues and challenges. These positions will conduct program monitoring for public schools, private schools, and state-operated programs in order to assure compliance with state and federal special education rules and regulations. Extensive knowledge of federal and state special education regulations and procedures is required, and the 030 certificate is preferred.
Candidates must have a bachelor of arts/science degree in education, human resource development, psychology, or a related field and six years of experience as an education practitioner. A master’s degree is preferred along with the ability to use computer technology (word processing and data processing software and telecommunications).
To receive an application, please contact Linda Dunn by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 624-6656.
Deadline for applications is April 16, 2004.
The Maine Department of Education is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.