Skip Maine state header navigation
POLICY CODE: GDA
TO: Superintendents of Schools
FROM: Susan A. Gendron, Commissioner
RE: Educational Technicians: ParaPro Assessment Passing Score and Procedure for Accessing the ParaPro Assessment
DATE: December 16, 2003
Title I, as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLBA) of 2001, has new requirements for paraprofessionals. Please be advised that each Local Education Agency (LEA) receiving assistance under Title I, Part A must ensure that all paraprofessionals (Educational Technicians) hired after January 8, 2002 and providing instructional support in a program supported with funds under this Title meet one of the following requirements:
1. Hold an Associate’s degree or higher; or
2. Have sixty semester hours from an accredited two-year and/or four-year college(s) or university; or
3. Achieve the qualifying score on the ParaPro Assessment.
(The ParaPro Assessment was chosen by the State of Maine as a way to meet the NCLBA criteria for “highly qualified paraprofessionals.”)
The State of Maine’s passing score for the ParaPro Assessment has been set at 459 for both the Internet-based and paper/pencil versions of the test.
Educational Technicians who pass the test with a score of 459 or higher must provide the test results to the district’s NCLBA contact person using Form EFC-308P.
To facilitate the ParaPro Assessment option that Educational Technicians may use as an avenue to achieve the requirement set forth by the NCLBA, Educational Testing Service (ETS) is offering both pencil-and-paper and Internet-based versions of the test in Maine.
The Internet-based version of the ParaPro Assessment can be made available in each Maine LEA. There are no costs associated with applying for an Internet site. Tests are then ordered by the LEA only and at a cost of $40.00 each. Individuals may not purchase a test themselves.
If you wish to make the Internet-based version of the ParaPro Assessment available in your LEA, the following are steps established by ETS to bring the ParaPro Assessment online in your district:
1. The LEA is responsible for providing a local site (computer or computer lab) that is secure, has the correct test-taking conditions, and has a suitable proctor.
Technical requirements for administrating the ParaPro Internet-based Assessment are available on the ParaPro Website: www.ets.org/parapro under “Frequently Asked Questions for School Districts and States”. Other test administration requirements are covered in the Administrator’s Handbook found on the ETS ParaPro Administrative Website which you will be able to access after receiving your password as outlined below.
2. To apply to purchase and administer the ParaPro iBT assessment, complete the Internet-based ParaPro Assessment Application at http://www.ets.org/parapro/ippform.html.
If you wish to make the Internet-based version available for test administration beginning February 1, 2004, you must apply to ETS no later than January 15, 2004.
3. After your application has been validated by ETS, the e-mail address entered in the application will receive an e-mail message with a website address for the ETS ParaPro Administrative Website and your unique User ID and Password.
Login to the Administrative Website to read the Administrator’s Handbook, purchase tests at $40.00 each, and maintain your LEA’s account.
Superintendents wishing to designate an on-line regional test site located in one LEA that Educational Technicians from the surrounding area may access may do so by contacting the ETS ParaPro Assessment Management Team at email@example.com or call them at (609) 734-5555.
Pencil-and-paper versions of the test will be available at the following sites:
· March 2004 Cony High School - Augusta
· April 2004 University of Maine – Orono
University of Southern Maine – Portland
· June 2004 University of Maine – Presque Isle
Pre-registration is required prior to taking the pencil-and- paper version of the ParaPro Assessment. Registration bulletins must be ordered through ETS by either calling their publication center at 1-800-537-3161, or by ordering them through the ParaPro website: www.ets.org/parapro Registration must be mailed to ETS.
If you have any questions about the test set-up procedure, please email the ETS ParaPro Assessment Management Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at (609) 734-5555, or you may contact Anne Wehrman at the Maine Department of Education.