Skip Maine state header navigation
INFORMATIONAL LETTER: 89
POLICY CODE: IHB
TO: Superintendents of Schools
FROM: Susan A. Gendron, Commissioner
DATE: June 27, 2003
ALERT: TIMEFRAME EXTENDED
RE: REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS: BLUEBERRY HARVEST SCHOOL AND OUTREACH SERVICES--Amended
The Maine Migrant Education Program is seeking proposals from a School Administrative Unit or a consortium of School Administrative Units for the development, implementation and evaluation of the Blueberry Harvest School and outreach services focusing on two activity areas:
1) outreach for Migrant Education in the blueberry harvest areas of Washington County, and
2) delivery of a developmentally appropriate recreational and hands-on educational summer program, at one or more school site(s), for the children of migrant workers at the blueberry harvest in Washington County.
The program will support the State Migrant Education Mission Statement and Goals.
The purposes of the project are:
· to provide a rich and supportive environment fostering the healthy and normal development of each child enrolled in the program;
· to deliver services that address the more challenging aspects of the families’ migrant lifestyles and foster self-esteem, competence and independence within the children;
· to deliver a cognitively based curriculum for all eligible children to the extent possible;
· to locate all eligible migrant students; and
· to provide information regarding the Harvest Program and outreach services in the blueberry harvest area of Washington County.
The project will be outcome- and results-oriented.
Several districts that wish to apply for only a portion of the grant may do so as a consortium. A consortium will submit only one application. Each consortium member and its contribution(s) to the total proposal must be clearly identified.
The grant is for up to $174,844 for four months and will be paid on a schedule approved by the Director of Maine Migrant Education and upon receipt of written financial and programmatic progress reports toward outcomes and measures that will be submitted to the Director of Maine Migrant Education for approval, in accordance with a State Agreement to Purchase Services (BP54). Funds must be expended by September 15, 2003.
Applicant’s Conference: An informational meeting for prospective applicants was held on June 19, 2003 on Maine’s ATM system.
Questions regarding this request for proposal need to be in writing and received by the end of the workday on July 1, 2003. Address questions to: Kathy Manning, Maine Department of Education, 23 State House Station, August, ME 04333-0023, or E-mail: Kathy.firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX TO 207-624-6706.
Period of service
The grant is for four months (7/20/2003– 11/15/2003). At the Department’s discretion, the grant may be renewed annually for up to an additional two (2) 4-month periods. Renewal of the grant will be based upon availability of funds and satisfactory performance of the successful applicant in moving toward meeting clearly defined objectives as determined through monthly and period end reports, informal and formal meetings and conversations, independent audit and evaluation, as well as feedback from project participants.
Requirements For Applicants
In order for a proposal to be considered, the applicant must:
· be a public School Administrative Unit (SAU) or a consortium of SAUs in Maine. The applicant SAU will be responsible for all programmatic and fiscal management and operations. A consortium of SAUs must identify the SAU responsible for overall programmatic and fiscal management or operations;
· be able to deliver the program and services in the blueberry harvest region of Washington County;
· provide all required information in the RFP package at the time of submission (failure to do so will result in disqualification of the proposal);
· submit one (1) original and three (3) copies of the proposal in a sealed package to:
Division of Purchases
Fourth Floor Cross Office Building
111 Sewall Street
9 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0009
· identify the content with the following application code, “RFP - Blueberry Harvest School and Outreach Services.”
Issue call for proposals 6/10/2003
Written questions due 7/01/2003
Informational answers available on the web 7/03/2003
Proposals due 7/11/2003
The proposal review team will evaluate the proposals received and make an award decision in a timely manner. All applicants will be notified of the award decision in writing when it is made. This grant will be awarded through a competitive process and is subject to the State of Maine’s grant review and approval process.
The proposal must be received by 2:00 PM, local time on 7/11/2003, at the Division of Purchases. Please note that only proposals actually received at the Division of Purchases prior to or at the above stated time will be considered. Proposals not received in the Division of Purchases by this date and time, will be rejected without exception. No request for an extension of the stated deadline will be approved. Faxed or emailed copies will not be accepted.
To request a copy of the Request for Proposal package, Please contact:
Kathy Manning, Maine Department of Education, 23 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0023, E-mail: Kathy.email@example.com, Telephone (207) 624-6705, or go to http://www.maine.gov/education/nclb/tic/home.htm on the web.
brenda/2 info letr Blueberry RFPCoverLet