Southern Maine (Zone 1)
Peak Week: Second Week in October
- Tourism Driving Tour: Antiques & Boutiques in Southern Maine
This tour circles from Kittery up the coast to Portland, then west through the Sebago Lakes Region, and south again to Kittery.
Featured State Parks
- The North Loop Trail at Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park in Freeport presents an exceptionally bright yellow display that normally peaks in mid-October.
- Bradbury Mountain State Park in Pownal provides views of surrounding forests and Casco Bay's Calendar Islands. The foliage color peaks usually occur in late September to mid-October. The park is a popular place to observe migrating hawks in September.
- The park trails at Ferry Beach State Park in Saco offer a view of the park's tupelo or blackgum trees which are uncommon in Maine. The tupelo trees turn a bright crimson and normally reach peak coloration in late September or early October.
Plan a Trip
- More about visiting the Portland and Casco Bay area
- More about visiting the Southern Maine Coast region