The Oil Storage Tank Search & Operator Training Online Service
Oil Storage Tank Search: This free service allows anyone to search the Department's database of registered oil storage tanks and to obtain registration certificates. This database includes all underground tanks that have been registered with DEP since 1986 (including tanks that have been removed) and aboveground tanks that have either been permitted by the State Fire Marshall's Office since 2005 or are registered with DEP.
TankSmart Operator Training: This service allows operators of registered oil storage tank facilities in Maine to get certified as Class A/B operators. There are two ways to do this. You may train and get certified for each facility separately using the registration numbers for each facility or you may train and certify as a general operator which will qualify you as a Class A/B operator for any facility.
For more information, please contact the TankSmart Program Manager, Kailee Mullen (207) 287-4749.
- TankSmart Fact Sheet and FAQ (pdf format)
- Class C Operator Training Checklist (pdf format) - Maine Class A/B Operators use this checklist to certify they have properly trained a Class C Operator
- Class C Operator Training Record (pdf format)
- Glossary of Terms (pdf format) - Common underground oil storage facility terms
- TankSmart Manual - Complete hard copy edition of TankSmart
- Signage Requirements for Unmanned Self Service Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities (pdf format)
- Weekly Facility Walk-Through Inspection Checklist (pdf format)