Greenhouse Gas (GHG)
The State is currently meeting the GHG goals established by Maine law.
38 MRSA §576 set goals to reduce GHG emissions statewide:
- To 1990 levels by January 1, 2010;
- To 10% below 1990 levels by January 1, 2020; and
- In the long term, reduction sufficient to eliminate any dangerous threat to the climate. To accomplish this goal, reduction to 75% to 80% below 2003 levels may be required.
- The Department provides biennial reports to the Legislature, evaluating the State's progress toward meeting our reduction goals.
- The Department’s Fifth Biennial Report shows that Maine exceeded the goal to reduce emissions to 1990 levels by 2010 and the reduction trend continues (see graph below).
- Fifth Biennial Report on Progress Toward Greenhouse Gas Reduction Goals, January 2014 (pdf)
Contact: Karla Buchanan (207) 441-1847