Home → Homeless Services
Phone: 207-287-7019 or Email: HVC.maineBVS@maine.gov
Veterans who have become homeless or who are at risk of becoming homeless can access help via the homeless case management program at Togus or by calling the National Homeless Veterans hotline at 1-877-424-3838.
Maine's Homeless case management program can be reached at 207-623-8411, x2950 (Arwen Agee).
Resources for shelter, transportation, and financial assistance
The following programs offer a full range of programs for homeless veterans.
Preble Street – Preble Street's Veterans Housing Services (VHS) assist low-income veterans and their families to find and maintain stable housing. Preble Street also advocates to end homelessness among veterans throughout Maine. Services provided by Preble Street include:
- Housing search and placement
- Case management
- Budget counseling
- Limited financial assistance
Veterans Inc. – a national leader in ending homelessness among veterans, Veterans Inc. has one of the highest rates in the nation – 85% - for transitioning veterans out of homelessness.
Headquartered in Massachusetts, with a new residential facility in Lewiston, Veterans Inc. is the largest provider of support services to veterans and their families in New England. Homeless vets can access the following services provided by Veterans Inc:
- Case Management (treatment plans, benefits counseling, transportation, legal advice, referrals, etc.)
- Housing (emergency, transitional, and long-term)
- Employment & Training (career counseling, training, job placement, etc.)
- Health & Wellness (peer support groups, substance abuse treatment, etc.)
Volunteers of North America Northern New England (VOANNE) – VOANNE is committed to helping veterans "after the uniform" and to assist veterans in overcoming challenges to return to their communities. VOANNE provides homeless veterans with:
- Safe, supportive housing
- Career counseling to help veterans ready themselves for employment
- Access to health, behavioral and substance abuse services
- Gender-specific programming and support
For a full listing of "Homeless and Housing" programs in Maine, please visit our Resources page.