The Independent Commission to Investigate the Facts of the Tragedy in Lewiston is charged with determining the facts around the October 25 shootings, from the months preceding the tragedy through the police response to it.
The Independent Commission was established by executive order of Governor Janet Mills. It will be funded through the Office of the Attorney General and will have staff, with the full scope of needed resources and any additional investigatory powers to be determined and requested by the Independent Commission itself.
The Independent Commission will conduct its work in public to the greatest extent possible and issue a formal public report detailing its findings upon the conclusion of its investigation.
Governor Mills and Attorney General Aaron Frey have appointed seven experts with extensive legal, investigative, and mental health backgrounds to serve on the Independent Commission. The members are:
- The Honorable Daniel E. Wathen, Commission Chair: Former Chief Justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court;
- Dr. Debra Baeder, Ph.D: Former Chief Forensic Psychologist for the State of Maine;
- George (Toby) Dilworth: Former Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Maine and current Managing Director, Drummond Woodsum;
- The Honorable Ellen Gorman: Former Associate Justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court;
- The Honorable Geoffrey Rushlau: Former Maine District Court Judge and former District Attorney for Sagadahoc, Lincoln, Knox, and Waldo Counties;
- Dr. Anthony Ng, MD: Board-certified psychiatrist and medical director of Community Services for Northern Light Acadia Hospital;
- Paula Silsby: Former United States Attorney for the District of Maine.