Special health needs, special emergency needs
May 12, 2014
Individuals with chronic illnesses or conditions, and those who love them and who care for them, should build a plan that fits with their unique health needs, that includes:
- An emergency supply of essential medications if you can’t get to a pharmacy
- A back-up treatment facility in the event your usual place of care is closed
- An evacuation plan based on your unique needs, if you might have trouble transporting yourself
Reach out to your community to talk confidentially about special help you might need during an emergency.Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- December 27, 2014: This week is a good time to update your family communications plan
- December 26, 2014: It's Boxing Day. It's what?
- December 25, 2014: Peace on earth, good will toward men
- December 24, 2014: Tis the night before Christmas.
- December 23, 2014: The Twelfth Day of Christmas: An Updated Phone List
- December 22, 2014: The Eleventh Day of Christmas: The Humble Flashlight
- December 21, 2014: The Tenth Day of Christmas: Shiny New House Numbers
- December 20, 2014: The Ninth Day of Christmas: First Aid and CPR Training
- December 19, 2014: The Eighth Day of Christmas: First Aid Kits
- December 18, 2014: The Seventh Day of Christmas: A NOAA Weather Radio
- December 17, 2014: The Sixth Day of Christmas: Pet Disaster Supplies
- December 16, 2014: The Fifth Day of Christmas: Disaster Supplies
- December 15, 2014: The Fourth Day of Christmas: A Fire Escape Ladder
- December 14, 2014: The Third Day of Christmas: A Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- December 13, 2014: The Second Day of Christmas: A Smoke Alarm
- December 12, 2014: The First Day of Christmas: A Portable Radio
- December 11, 2014: Make a list and check it twice
- December 10, 2014: Light up your life when the power goes out
- December 9, 2014: Christmas trees unfortunately make great torches
- December 8, 2014: Anything can happen on the road, at any time
- December 7, 2014: It's a day of remembrance. Listen to those who remember.
- December 6, 2014: Candles and window drapes don't mix
- December 5, 2014: It's cold! Are your family and neighbors warm enough?
- December 4, 2014: Blowing and drifting snow: the gift that keeps on giving
- December 3, 2014: What, snow in Maine in the winter?
- December 2, 2014: "It's a Marshmallow World in the Winter" but don't get stuck
- December 1, 2014: "The first of December was covered with snow"?
- November 30, 2014: Share your best preparedness tip
- November 29, 2014: Space blankets, the final frontier
- November 28, 2014: Be thankful, and be safe